Drift Away – Hebrews 2:1; Revelation 2:2-5
Intro.: Dobie Gray wrote a song called “Drift Away” in 1973 – verse 1:
Day after day I’m more confused
So I look for the light in the pouring rain
You know that’s a game that I hate to lose
I’m feelin’ the strain, ain’t it a shame
READ: Hebrews 2:1, “For this reason we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away from it.” This is a specific warning to us. Have any of you drifted back toward a lost state? Are some of us not where we once were w/God? Have you ever been more surrendered than you are right now? If you answered yes to any of these, you’re in the process of drifting. Why is it so easy to drift?
I. Reasons that people drift
A. A Lack of Spiritual Depth - Matthew 13:5-7, 20-21
1. If we settle for a shallow relationship, we won’t make it thru the rough spots
2. Some Churches today have the spiritual depth of a mud puddle, small &shallow
3. Many Christians think God is OK w/this kind of spiritual life
4. A lack of spiritual depth will lead to an apathetic, dead spiritual life
B. Denying Christ w/o Realizing it - Mark 14:10-11
1. There will be times in our lives when we deny Jesus, we’ve all done it…
a. We deny Him every time we CHOOSE to sin
b. Saving ourselves a brief difficulty: Not speaking when we should, etc.
c. There have been times when we have chosen the easy path & sold out
C. Hard Times Come - Galatians 4:8-11
1. When life gets tough we find out what we’re made of
a. We find out if our Christianity is fact or fiction
b. We find out who we really turn to: the bank, the government or to God
D. We Get Deceived - Galatians 1:6-9
1. Sometimes people are swayed to follow a doctrine that is false or unscriptural
2. Sometimes people drift because others have deceived them
3. We must continually measure our opinions about God with scripture
a. If our beliefs do not match the bible, we are wrong
E. We Get Divided - Galatians 2:11-12
1. There will always be people who will seek to divide those around them
2. We have to make the choice to stand up when and where God calls us to
3. Standing for God is not always popular but it is always the right thing to do.
READ: Revelation 2:2-5
II. The Essential Problem with Drifting
A. We Don’t Fear Sin - Even good churches go bad when they don’t see sin as sin
a. Rebellion against God and Rejection of His Grace
NOTE: We live in an age where there is no fear over the consequences of sin. Society wants us to believe that God is love & He wouldn’t hold us accountable for our actions. We no longer examine our lifestyle by the principles of scripture. We fool ourselves into believing that we live under grace so we can live how we please. God is clear on this issue, He loves sinners but hates sin. If God hates sin how can we think that it’s ok?
B. Lack of a repentance over sin
1. To repent means to turn away from
NOTE: The biggest problem w/many Christians is that they have given their heart to Jesus but never repented of their sins. Sin doesn’t bother us enough for us to change.
C. Lack of victory over sin
1. Victory begins with forgiveness but is sustained thru attitude
a. Does our attitude say, I am more than a conqueror” or “I can’t overcome”
2. Our victory was gained through Jesus’ resurrection from the dead
3. The only victories that Satan can have over you are the ones you let him have
4. We often live far below the level we are meant to be living at
NOTE: Stop living in a defeated attitude, a defeated outlook and a defeated expectation. You have victory in Jesus and now is the time to live out that victory day in day out.
III. Results of Drifting
A. Loss of Growth
1. It is absolutely impossible to grow in a relationship you choose to neglect
2. If we settle for less of a relationship with Christ we lose our potential in Him
B. Loss of Godly Passion
1. When we strive to be like Jesus it shows in our spiritual disciplines
a. Prayer, Bible Study, Personal Worship, etc.
2. When we are not striving for more we settle for less
IV. What Do We Do About Drifting?
A. Recognize that it’s Happening
1. You can’t embrace what God wants to change in you unless you see your need
2. You will never experience a greater move of God if you are satisfied
B. Remember where you were in Jesus
1. A deep relationship with Jesus is based in reality not hope (feelings)
C. Repent of your Drifting
D. Return to those things that Fire up your Spiritual Passions
E. Experience Personal Renewal/Revival
Concl.: When you neglect your spiritual walk for even a short time you begin to drift away from God. If you are not as close to Jesus as you once were or should be, make things right. Stop drifting and draw near. Stop drifting and come back to the relationship you have been missing. Stop drifting and walk in the intimacy you long for with Christ.