THE PHILIPPIAN JAILER CONVERTED
INTRO: During one of Paul’s many missionary journeys he and Silas were at
the city of Philippi, and while there, they were beaten and cast into prison.
Today, we want to talk about their short time in this prison and the conversion of the jailor who was responsible for their confinement.
I. THEIR LOYALTY TO GOD.
A. They are cast into prison.
1. For preaching the Word.
2. To stop the spread of the gospel.
B. They sing praises to God.
1. Jesus was beaten and Crucified.
a. They might have expected the same thing to happen
b. Even in their pain, they sang praises to God.
2. They were not in Church.
a. This wasn’t the hour of prayer, rather it was
b. This wasn’t a Church, rather a dungeon in a
c. Yet it was seasonable to pray, and their prayer
d. God accepts our prayers at any time and at
C. They weren’t ashamed of God.
1. The other prisoners heard the singing.
a. It was midnight, and they were asleep.
b. They sang so loud that they woke them up, even
from the dungeon.
2. We sometimes sing praises in the privacy of our homes
or at our church, and apologize if we disturb our
neighbors, yet others sing profane songs and don’t
care who hears them.
3. The prisoners make fun of them.
a. The prisoners probably were laughing and making
fun of them as they had their devotions.
b. The earthquake came and struck terror among the
II. PAUL AND SILAS’ PRAYERS ANSWERED.
A. The bonds are loosed.
1. The prisoners shared in the miracle because of their
good opinion of Paul and Silas.
2. They didn’t try to escape.
B. The jailor was awakened.
1. Probably by the earthquake.
2. He sought to take his life.
3. Paul stops him.
C. The jailor is converted.
1. His salvation is his greatest concern.
a. Before, it had not been in his mind. But now it
b. Not about wealth, but salvation.
2. His concern if for himself, not for others.
a. Not what others must do, but what must "I" do.
b. Concern for others comes after our own needs are
3. He asks not what may be done for me, but what must "I"
4. Willingness to do anything is required.
a. Those who are truly sincere, and desire salvation
will be willing to do anything that God demands.
b. There is no compromise in salvation.
D. They helped the jailor then.
1. They were probably sore, cold, and sleepy.
2. They don’t put him off and tell him to come to one of
3. They help him when he needs help, not waiting until
things are more convenient.