1. The power of sin seems so strong at times doesn’t it?
• The tug, the pull, the pressure, the battle, the struggle!
• It can get to the point where it seems & feels overwhelming.
• BUT IN Jesus CHRIST, the power of sin has been broken.
THROUGH CH6 of Romans, Paul has been giving us TOOLS/TRUTHS to live a life that is consistent with our new natures…
• There are 4 words he uses. We’ve already seen 2 of them.
#1 – KNOW. There are certain things about our relationship with Jesus Christ that we need to KNOW & UNDERSTAND.
• Christian living is based on Christian learning.
1:3-6 – Know that we died in Jesus Christ. Our Old man was crucified. We now walk in the newness of life!
#2 – RECKON. With our new knowledge, we are to live that way.
1:11 – Reckon yourselves to be dead to sin. Consider it a done deal.
• Believe what God says Word about you as an accomplished fact!
• We pick up v12… THEREFORE.
1. (6:12-13) Do not let sin reign.
a. What do I do with this sin Ed? How do I overcome?
b. Don’t let it reign in you lives & PRESENT YOURSELF To God.
#3 – PRESENT. Present yourself to God for His direction & Strength.
• In a moment’s time, there is that need to pause & present.
• Even if you have to do it audibly & visibly. Excuse me while I go into the restroom or outside… and pray!
NOTE: The word ‘reign’ literally means to ‘REIGN as a king’!
• Don’t let it have the upper hand. Don’t feed it.
NOTE: Here’s what it looks like.
• Knowing that you are free from the power & penalty of Sin.
• Reckoning that you are dead to sin and alive to Jesus.
• WHEN you’re about to give into anger, when you’re about to share that juicy tidbit of gossip, when you’re about to go that way… PAUSE and present yourselves to God.
HERE GOD, I’m giving you my body, it’s Yours to use for Your glory!
• Notice in v13, the word ‘instruments’.
• Could also be translated weapons. Isn’t that great?!
• Don’t let the members of your body be weapons for the devil, but for the Lord!
• It’s so easy for our eyes to become weapons, our hands, our mouth… But presented to God.
• The same mouth that lied, now speaks the truth.
• The same hand that hit, now hugs.
• The same eyes that lusted, now look for ministry opportunities.
2. (6:14) Sin shall not have dominion over you!
a. These are some of the most powerful, life giving words to the Christian. You are free from sin in Jesus Christ?!
b. And so we now know and live in the truth that we have overcome sin by faith in Jesus!
c. Notice the freedom comes through GRACE not LAW.
THE LAW can only accuse us. It can’t save us.
• All it does all day is point out the wrongs in our life.
• And we’ll learn in CH7 how we’ve been released! (7:5-6)
BUT IN GRACE… sin shall not have dominion over you any longer!
• NASB: Sin shall not be master over you!
• Sin is master over those under the law, those who want a legal relationship with God based on their performance.
People who have a relationship with the law often think this way:
• What’s the least I can do to get to heaven!? OR
• How much can I get away with and still be A Christian.
• BUT GRACE DOESN’T THINK THAT WAY!
• GRACE THINKS… what can I do for you Lord? I want to serve you.
• I want to grow. I want to give. I want to make a difference!
• “Lord if you’ll open the doors, I’ll will do even more for you!”
• We’re not trying to do to just get to heaven.
• We are serving because are saved not because we’re trying earn it or keep it or impress!
GRACE serves with a newness of spirit. It’s from the inside out.
• God, He pulls you out of the pit, up from the miry clay.
• He sets you on a solid rock. Puts a new song in your heart.
• And you and I stand there amazed! Thank you Lord.
• It’s awesome!
• God didn’t send His law to make that change in you. He did it!
• And now out of love, we serve Jesus and we’re free from sin!
• What motivates us now? Love. His Love.
2 Corinthians 5:14-15 (NKJV) 14 For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; 15 and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.
Jesus loves us in an incredible way, perfectly & unconditionally!
• He loves you knowing everything about you!
• That is so incredible! He knows everything about us and still loves us. Jesus loves us perfectly.
2 Corinthians 8:8-9 (NKJV) 8 I speak not by commandment, but I am testing the sincerity of your love by the diligence of others. 9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich.
• So with that, knowing how much Jesus loves us…
3. (6:15) Shall we continue in sin now?
a. No way, we love Jesus now and avoid sin purposely!.
b. His grace, His love are not excuses to sin.
4. (6.16-18) You became slaves of righteousness!
a. Before you surrendered your life to Jesus Christ, whether you knew it or not, you were a slave to yourself and to sin.
b. Flip over to Ephesians 2:1ff
c. That’s slavery my friends!
d. This world & the devil were cruel masters!
NOTE: Now, I know that most in our culture would immediately put up a strong defense: I’m not a slave!
• Flip over to John 8:31-36
• Jesus says whoever commits sin is a slave to sin!
• But God, through His Son Jesus Christ frees man!
APP: That’s why I love nights we devote to testimonies!
• What God did there! Wow! And how He work in her! YES!
• Those nights well up in me a compassion for the lost.
• They stuck, slaves to sin!
• But for you believers, you obeyed from the heart!
THESE YOUNG Romans were surrounded by paganism & idolatry.
• But they obeyed – Which brings us to our 4th word.
• KNOW – RECKON – PRESENT – OBEY!
#4 - OBEY. It’s so critical to obey what you know, immediately.
• Partial obedience is really no obedience at all.
• And notice, it was from the heart, not from the law.
NOTE: There is a difference between obedience & compliance.
• Obedience comes from the heart. Compliance is only outward.
• Anyone that has ever been in the flesh knows it!
• Anyone that has kids knows the difference totally knows it!
Like the time little Johnny was in trouble with his mom. The punishment for the day was to sit down in time out.
His mom said, "Now, Johnny, you sit right there in that chair and don’t you get up until I tell you to." And he refused. She pressed harder and he refused even more. She finally walked over and physically sat him down in the chair, but his dirty looks bothered her. Finally she asked, Johnny what’s wrong? Little Johnny answered, “I’m sitting down on the outside, but I’m still standing up on the inside!!!!”
NOTE: Jonah was someone who complied with God’s will but not from the heart. He was just tired of being in that fish!
• As a matter of fact, after revival, he was upset they were saved!
John 14:15 (NKJV) 15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments.
• Obedience proves we love God!
• And notice v18 again, we became slaves of righteousness!
• This doesn’t mean we will become SINLESS here on earth, but it does mean that sin will not have a dominating power!
5. (6:19-21) The past was fruitless without Jesus.
a. The flesh is weak and dogs us almost daily.
b. We have a series of old habit patterns that we can quickly fall into if and when we let our guard down.
c. But notice, there was NO FRUIT in the flesh.
John 6:63 (NKJV) 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
SIN Places a person on a downward spiral…
• Sin gives birth to more sin. Just ask Lot.
Genesis 13:12 (NKJV) 12 Abram dwelt in the land of Canaan, and Lot dwelt in the cities of the plain and pitched his tent even as far as Sodom.
• It’s true, where you pitch your tent, what you spend your time on is where you’ll end up!
• Lot ends up in the city. He ends up a leader. He ends up offering his daughters to perverted men who came to town!
Genesis 19:8 (NKJV) 8 See now, I have two daughters who have not known a man; please, let me bring them out to you, and you may do to them as you wish; only do nothing to these men, since this is the reason they have come under the shadow of my roof.”
But the same is true for those of us who pitch our tents toward Heaven! As we KNOW – RECKON – PRESENT – AND OBEY.
• We will draw closer and closer to our loving God.
James 4:8 (NKJV) 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
6. (6:22-23) The gift of God is eternal life.
a. Paul very specifically uses these words contrasting the offer of God and offers of sin!
b. With sin, you work for a wage… the wage is death!
c. Death to marriages, jobs, dreams, ministries.
d. What I’ve earned from my sin is death.
BUT the gift of God is eternal life. Praise Him for that!!!
• What I deserved was replaced with what I don’t deserve! Life.
• Where would we be without Jesus?!
• It’s sections of the Bible like that that floor me. I was so lost and confused and broken and spiritually blind…
• But God didn’t turn His back on me!
2 Peter 3:9 (NKJV) 9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:15 (NKJV) 15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you,
AND that’s the gift that God offers to anyone, everyone here.
Romans 10:12 (NKJV) 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him.
In Jesus, sin no longer has dominion over you… you are not under the Law any longer… but under grace!
Romans 6;14 (NLT) Sin is no longer your master, for you are no longer subject to the law, which enslaves you to sin. Instead, you are free by God’s grace.