Let the Holy Spirit Lead You as He Led David
Illustration: As the Lord’s return draws near, godlessness is increasing. Standards that have stood for decades are falling all around us. Crime, lawlessness, and disrespect all seem to be growing.
If that’s the way you’ve been looking at things recently, the psalmist David has good news for you. There is hope! There is a positive way to look at life.
Here are David’s recommendations for facing a world marked by "evildoers," whose day in the sun is as fleeting as grass in the desert (Ps. 37:1-2).
Trust God (v.3). The alternative is to trust people with the future, and that leads to disappointment.
Do good things (v.3). The more good we do, the less chance evil has to succeed.
Delight in the Lord (v.4). Take delight in God and His will, and He promises to provide what you need.
Commit your way to God (v.5). He will bless your efforts.
Wait patiently for the Lord (v.7). He will prevail.
The more we immerse ourselves in God, His Word, and His promises, the less we will fret over the troubles of this world. Sure, it’s a tough world we live in, but with God we can be victorious! --JDB
For all His children, God desires
A life of calm, not flurry;
His will for every day is this:
That we should trust, not worry. --Anon.
To make it in a tough world, keep in touch with God.
(Our Daily Bread)
1. The Holy Spirit promoted David because he gave credit to WHOM credit was due. Samuel wrote, "And David knew that the Lord had established him as king over Israel and had exalted his kingdom for the sake of his people Israel." (2 Samuel 5:12) Ask the Lord to consistently help you give credit to the Lord for every good thing that comes into your relationships, your ministries and your personal life.
2. The Holy Spirit used David in powerful ways because David kept His spiritual priorities ahead of everything else. Samuel wrote, "Now King David was told, ‘The Lord has blessed the household of Obed-Edom and everything he has, because of the ark of God." So David went down and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-Edom to the City of David with rejoicing. When those who were carrying the ark of the Lord had taken six steps, he sacrificed a bull and a fattened calf." (2 Sam. 6:12,13) Ask the Lord to help you keep your spiritual priorities amidst all the activities in your ministries.
3. The Holy Spirit attracted so many Godly followers through David because he unashamedly enjoyed praising the Lord with all of His emotions in public view. Samuel wrote, "David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the Lord with all his might, while he and the entire house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouts and the sound of trumpets." (2 Sam. 6:14,15) Ask the Lord to help you exhibit great transparency in your public worship, prayers and ministries to the Lord.
4. The Holy Spirit blessed David because he continuously sought the Lord’s blessings in everything. Samuel wrote, "David went down and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-Edom to the City of David with REJOICING." (2 Sam. 6:12b) Ask the Lord to help you never take for granted any blessing or grow complacent in failing to count your blessings. Seek His face continously. David said, "I will bless the Lord at all times, His praise will continously be in my mouth. My soul will make its boast in the Lord, the humble will hear it and be glad." (Psa 34:1-4) When we bless the Lord, He blesses us with realization that we are blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ. (Eph. 1:3) Praise God for His power, purpose, plan , provision and promises and He will elevate you with enlightened blessings that are already yours in Christ.
5. The Holy Spirit empowered David because He refused to think that he could take short cuts in doing all of the will of God. Samuel wrote, "David offered sacrifices of oxen and fatlings when the Levites had gone six paces as an atonement for former sins." (I Chron. 15:26) Ask the Lord to help you to avoid any short cut thinking or actions in your relationships, ministries or personal lifestyle.
6. The Holy Spirit prospered David and his ministries because he used every occasion as an example for others to grow in their love for God. Samuel wrote, "David danced before the Lord with all His might." (2 Sam. 6:14) Ask the Lord to keep you wholeheartedly serving the Lord knowing you are setting an example for many others to emulate.
7. The Holy Spirit championed David’s cause because the man of God withheld nothing in sacrificing himself to the Lord’s purposes. Samuel wrote, "David put on a simple linen ephod (not a royal purple one) in order to minister more effectively to the people. (I Sam. 2:18; 6:15) Ask the Lord to help you withhold nothing in sacrificing for the Lord and His purposes - even if he means humbling yourself in public.
8. The Holy Spirit aided David in all of his ministries because of his wise, respectful and humble diplomatic skills. Samuel wrote, "David said, "The Lord forbid that I should cut off a corner of Saul’s robe as he is the Lord’s anointed, or lift my hand against him; for he is the anointed of the Lord. With these words David rebuked his men and did not allow them to attack Saul. And Saul left the cave and went his way." (I Sam. 24:4-7) Ask the Lord to help you consistently exhibit wise diplomacy, respect and submission to the Lord’s authorities.
9. The Holy Spirit helped David succeed because he knew how to pray in ways that taught people about how to have a more intimate relationship with God. Samuel wrote, "David praised the Lord in the presence of the whole assembly, saying, ‘Praise be to you, O Lord, God of our father Israel, from everlasting to everlasting. Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, O Lord is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all. Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all. Now, OUR God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name. But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand." (I Chronicles 29:10-14) Ask the Lord to help you to learn how to pray in the power, perspective and pattern of David.
10. The Holy Spirit enabled David to accomplish great things because he used SPIRITUAL means to accomplish God’s end with God’s people. David prayed, "I know, my God, that you test the heart and are pleased with integrity. All these things have I given willingly and with honest intent. And now I have seen with joy how willingly your people who are here have given to you. O Lord, keep this desire in the hearts of your people forever and keep their hearts loyal to you." (I Chronicles 29:17,18) Ask the Lord to help your leadership to have a multiplying influence of raising up other Godly leaders for new churches & tasks