Props for illustrations through sermon:
Sling Shot – with nerf balls, frozen water bottle –unfrozen water bottle- a ball-a cell phone.
Introduction: What is energy?
From my research I have discovered that energy changes things:
a. Energy makes a ball move.
a. Have ball to throw! Have the ball that lights up when it bounces.
b. Energy makes ice melt or water freeze.
a. Have frozen water bottle
c. It takes energy to cook an egg.
d. Energy makes things work – like computers, cell phones and the like.
a. Have cell phone to show!
There are two basic kinds of energy:
Kinetic energy is energy in motion, anything that moves or changes uses kinetic energy.
Potential energy is the energy something has because of where it is or its condition.
Example a ball has potential energy before it is thrown, this sling shot has potential energy that is stored in the band because when I stretch it out it has elastic potential energy. When I release it the energy launches the ball into the air. Shoot into audience!
Opening Illustration: Energy drinks illustration – show the energy drink for the promo of the Saturday service. This drink has energy in and when you drink it is released into your body. Take a drink of the energy drink!
Premise of the energy drink: from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_drink#Desirable_effects
Energy drinks are soft drinks advertised as providing energy to improve physical activity of the drinker, as compared to a typical drink. Rather than providing food energy (as measured in calories), these drinks are designed to increase a user's mental alertness and physical performance by the addition of caffeine, vitamins, and herbal supplements which may interact to provide a stimulant effect over and above that obtained from caffeine alone
A variety of physiological and psychological effects attributed to energy drinks and/or their ingredients have been investigated.
Two studies reported significant improvements in mental and cognitive performances as well as increased subjective alertness. Excess consumption of energy drinks may induce mild to moderate euphoria primarily caused by stimulant properties of caffeine and may also induce agitation, anxiety, irritability and insomnia.
Caution is warranted even for healthy adults who choose to consume energy beverages. Consumption of a single energy beverage will not lead to excessive caffeine intake; however, consumption of two or more beverages in a single day can… Adverse effects associated with caffeine consumption in amounts greater than 400 mg include nervousness, irritability, migraines, sleeplessness, increased urination, abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmia), and stomach upset.
In the US, energy drinks have been linked with reports of nausea, abnormal heart rhythms and emergency room visits. The drinks may cause seizures due to the "crash" following the energy high that occurs after consumption.
The first drink marketed as being designed to improve the performance of athletes and sports stars arrived in the sixties. It was invented for the football team at the University of Florida, known as the Gators — hence its name, Gatorade. Designed to aid hydration and lengthen performance levels, it claimed that its ingredients were formulated for just such things. However, Gatorade is safer than many energy drinks and is known more as a sports drink.
Energy drinks are typically attractive to young people. Approximately 65% percent of its drinkers are between the ages of 13 and 35 years old, with males being approximately 65% of the market.
People buy these drinks to get energized – to think clearer and be perked up – what if you could get that same feeling the natural way and by a spiritual energy boost.
Thesis: We need to allow the Holy Spirit to energize us God’s way! And we need to ask God to launch us into motion for eternity!
“You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly.”
“For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering…”
T.S. - Notice Romans challenges us to get energized by the Spirit and by the presence of God! So how do we do that?
I. Get energized God’s way!
a. Compare with energy drink boost.
i. It causes a boost in cognitive performance.
1. God’s Word and presence also boost cognitive performance such as Wisdom, knowledge, insight, thinking:
a. James 1:5: “If any of you need wisdom, you should ask God, and it will be given to you. God is generous and won’t correct you for asking.”
b. 1 Kings 4:29: “Solomon was brilliant. God had blessed him with insight and understanding.”
c. Psalm 111:10: “Respect and obey the Lord! This is the first step to wisdom and good sense. God will always be respected.”
d. Daniel 1:19, 20: “The king talked with them, and he found none equal to Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah; so they entered the king’s service. In every matter of wisdom and understanding about which the king questioned them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters in his whole kingdom.”
ii. It causes a boost in mental awareness – more aware of what is happening around us. More in tune to life!
1. Driving test: In one experiment, a glucose-based energy drink (containing caffeine, taurine and glucuronolactone) was given to eleven tired participants being tested in a driving simulator. Lane drifting and reaction times were measured for two hours post-treatment and showed significant improvement (wikipedia.org).
2. God’s Word
a. 2 Cor. 4:6: “For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.”
b. Isa. 2:5: “Come, O house of Jacob, let us walk in the light of the LORD.”
c. Also the gifts of the Holy Spirit – 1 Cor. 12:7-11; 12:27-31:
i. 7The Spirit has given each of us a special way of serving others.
8Some of us can speak with wisdom, while others can speak with knowledge, but these gifts come from the same Spirit.
9To others the Spirit has given great faith or the power to heal the sick
10or the power to work mighty miracles. Some of us are prophets, and some of us recognize when God’s Spirit is present.£ Others can speak different kinds of languages, and still others can tell what these languages mean.
11But it is the Spirit who does all this and decides which gifts to give to each of us.
ii. 27Together you are the body of Christ. Each one of you is part of his body.
28£ First, God chose some people to be apostles and prophets and teachers for the church. But he also chose some to work miracles or heal the sick or help others or be leaders or speak different kinds of languages.
29Not everyone is an apostle. Not everyone is a prophet. Not everyone is a teacher. Not everyone can work miracles.
30Not everyone can heal the sick. Not everyone can speak different kinds of languages. Not everyone can tell what these languages mean.
31I want you to desire the best gifts. So I will show you a much better way.
iii. Energy drinks cause a feeling of euphoria but so does the presence of the Holy Spirit.
1. 2 Samuel 6:14-23
a. David danced before the Lord as the Ark was brought into Jerusalem – this sounds very euphoric!
2. I Chronicles 29:10-14: “David praised the Lord in the presence of the assembly…toward the end of his life.”
3. Ne. 8:6: “Ezra praised the Lord, the great God…(after the completion of the wall around Jerusalem) …and all the people lifted their hands and responded, ‘Amen, Amen!’ Then they bowed down and worshipped the Lord with their faces to the ground.”
a. Sounds a great scene of excitement and euphoria to me!
4. Dan 2:19: “Then Daniel praised the God of Heaven…(after the mystery to King Neb. dream was given Daniel).”
a. The man was excited for what God showed Him!
5. Acts 10:44-46: “While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on even Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.”
a. This sounds exciting and energized – does it not – it’s a party with euphoric feelings gushing out!
b. This is what church is to be like – do you want to be energized?
b. God’s energy boost is good for you – there are no negative side affects!
i. It’s healthy for you
1. It will not cause anxiety but release your stress
2. It will not cause irritability but joyfulness in your life
3. It will not cause insomnia but peace in your sleep
a. Illustration of personal nightmares and how you were delivered.
ii. We can also get an energy boost by eating God’s way.
1. So check out the health seminar on Saturday Jan. 16 from 9-12am – right here at Christian Hills.
a. See flyer in bulletin– the premise is a “Maximized Living Makeover”
b. Check out info on our website.
c. Scripture references of the energy which comes from God:
i. Psalms 68:32-35:
1. 32Sing to God, O kingdoms of the earth, sing praise to the Lord, Selah 33to him who rides the ancient skies above, who thunders with mighty voice.34Proclaim the power of God, whose majesty is over Israel, whose power is in the skies.35You are awesome, O God, in your sanctuary; the God of Israel gives power and strength to his people. Praise be to God!
ii. Psalms 147:1-11:
1. 1Praise the LORD. How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him! 2The LORD builds up Jerusalem; he gathers the exiles of Israel. 3He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.4He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name.5Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit.
6The LORD sustains the humble but casts the wicked to the ground.7Sing to the LORD with thanksgiving; make music to our God on the harp.8He covers the sky with clouds; he supplies the earth with rain and makes grass grow on the hills. 9He provides food for the cattle and for the young ravens when they call.10His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse, nor his delight in the legs of a man; 11the LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love.
T.S. – We need to be energized by the Spirit of God and we must allow the Lord to launch us into motion for eternity.
II. Let God put you into motion for eternity
a. Illustration of the sling shot again – shoot balls into audience.
i. Use the sling shot to shoot things out into the audience – we need to allow the Lord to launch us into motion for eternity.
1. But we have to allow him to launch us into action and into motion.
ii. Acts 2:42-47
1. The Fellowship of the Believers
42They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.
43Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles.
44All the believers were together and had everything in common.
45Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need.
46Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts,
47praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
b. 4th Grade Christian Hills School - Science books thought on energy.
i. Misconceptions about energy - page 125:
1. A lack of understanding about energy has plagued generations of students. Many misconceptions are rooted in the fact that students often do not associate energy with nonliving things. This can be due to inability to distinguish between energy and movement. Since nonliving things are usually observed at rest, students who equate energy with movement are unlikely to attribute energy to nonliving things. Make sure students understanding of energy is not limited to moving and or/living things (page 125).
a. For centuries scientists have debated whether the physical objects that make up the universe are naturally at rest or naturally in motion. If physical objects are naturally at rest in motion. If physical objects are naturally at rest, then any object in motion by something else. This view suggests the existence of God. If object A was put in motion by object B, object B was put in motion by object C, and object C was put in motion by object D, what put object D in motion? At some point, if we trace these cause/effect relationships back in time, we will arrive at something that has power to put things in motion, yet was not given this power by anything outside of itself. Aristotle called this thing the “unmoved mover,” and throughout history, Christians, Jews and Muslims have associated it with the God they worship (Page 125).
b. Sling shot – shoot out balls into the audience.
i. The energy of the force of my hand pulling back on the slingshot puts the piece of candy in motion!
ii. Energy - Energy is difficult to understand because although it is driving force behind so many of the observed phenomena in the universe, it cannot be understood without grasping and abstract concept.
c. The world’s rotation was set in motion by God.
i. Genesis 1:1: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”
1. See video Illustration – You tube earth rotation and universe rotations around the sun. Playing during this point in message.
ii. What or who put this world and universes in motion?
1. I believe it is and was God!
d. The Holy Spirit empowered the church to move forward in Acts and will do the same for us today.
i. Acts 1:8:
1. 8But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
a. Challenge the Congregation with this thought:
i. When God sends forth the Spirit amazing things happen:
barriers are broken,
communities are formed,
opposites are reconciled,
unity is established,
disease is cured,
addiction is broken,
cities are renewed,
races are reconciled,
hope is established,
people are blessed,
and church happens.
Today the Spirit of God is present
and we’re having church.
So be ready, get ready...God is up to something...
discouraged folks cheer up,
dishonest folks ’fess up,
sour folks sweeten up,
closed folk, open up,
gossipers shut up,
conflicted folks make up,
sleeping folks wake up,
lukewarm folk, fire up,
dry bones shake up,
and pew potatoes stand up!
But most of all, Christ the Savior of all the world is lifted up.
SOURCE: Rick Kirchoff, Germantown United Methodist Church, Opening remarks to the Memphis Annual Conference. Citation: Tim Zingale in Pentecost Sunday on www.sermoncentral.com.
ii. Acts 4:33:
1. 33With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all.
iii. Acts 10:38:
1. 38How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.
Get an energy boost by God’s Holy Spirit!
Get launched into motion for eternity by the Lord!
Pray for the people to be energized by God! Encourage them to share testimonies with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have power point screen with church info on it at the close.