Message : Silent Night – It was not so silent a night!
Dr. Thomas Maxwell,D-Min
Senior Pastor, Lakeview Baptist Church, Anderson S.C.
Isa 9:6-7 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. (7) Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
*On this night, the Night of Christ birth, this scripture is fulfilled. An Event that would start to turn the world upside down as God himself came down in the form of a child born of a virgin and start the world singing a new song..
Mic 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
**As we look at the town in which Christ was born and on the night Christ was born, we come to a conclusion that the Silent Night we sing about was not so silent after all.
Luk 2:1-7 And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed. (2) (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.)
(3) And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city. (4) And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:) (5) To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.
(6) And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. (7) And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
*** The Town was a busy and noisy place as crowds of people were there to meet the Tax command from Caesar. The hustle and bustle of a busy city. The rush of people going about trying to find shelter and provision for the night and the days ahead. People were about their daily lives much like we do today… Merchants were about getting sales done. Sounds a lot like the Christmas rush we have today. It was a noisy town.
**** The Country side was not much better… The hustle and bustle of the busy merchants and people were not there but the business of shepherding was being done. Tending to the sheep, watching out for predators and trying to get some rest in the evening air.
Luk 2:8-14 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
(9) And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
(10) And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. (11) For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. (12) And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
(13) And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, (14) Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
***** The Country side was stirred it was noised about as the Shepherds reacted to:
the Message of the Birth of Jesus.
the traveling to the place of his birth
the Heavenly host singing.. the skychoir!
Luk 2:15-20 And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us. (16) And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger. (17) And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child. (18) And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds. (19) But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.
(20) And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.
****** The Shepherds Praising, Sharing the message they received and the Miracle the saw.
The city was moved as this message was shared by those who witnessed it.
Today we witnesses of the Miracle of Christ should still talk about the night, the birth and the Lord but remember he came to us as a babe in a manger but he did not stay there. He grew up to fulfill the prophecy… To become the Savior of the World by living a perfect and sinless life, crucified, DEAD and buried, rising up on the third day and coming again..
Joh 1:1-5 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (2) The same was in the beginning with God. (3) All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. (4) In him was life; and the life was the light of men. (5) And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
1Jn 1:1-4 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (2) (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) (3) That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. (4) And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
That message should be noised about today just like the message of his birth was on that night.
For God has given us the Greatest Gift ever Given.
Jesus the one called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Let us noise it loud ….
DO YOU KNOW HIM TODAY!