Matthew 22:1-14 “The Wedding Banquet”
1. The Lord is going to have a wedding Banquet for His Son
• It is the Marriage Supper of the Lamb it is a happy time Revelation 19:9 Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!'" And he added, "These are the true words of God".
• There will be a Wedding in Heaven Rev 19:7Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready.
• Who is the Bridegroom - 2"The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son. The Bridegroom can only be "the king's son" John was asked to identify himself. He made it clear that he was not the Christ; in John 3 v.29 he referred to Christ as "the bridegroom,"
• Who is the Bride - A verse of importance is found in Ephesians 5 v.32. The Great Apostle shares a profound mystery - but I am talking about Christ and the church," clearly indicating that the perfect picture of the relationship between the Lord Jesus and His Church is that of a bride and a bridegroom.
• Where and When Will This Marriage Take Place - The marriage of the Lamb must take place in heaven, for in Rev. 19 v.11, after the marriage of the Lamb and the marriage supper of the Lamb, we find the Lord Jesus coming in what we call "the Glorious Appearing" to set up His kingdom
• The Church or bride is dressed in certain garments Ephesians 5 v.27 indicates the manner in which the Bride will be presented to Christ: "a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless." This condition will exist only after the judgment of Christ when believers have been completely cleansed and the Church is made whole.
2. Let us look at the Reaction of those Invited to the Wedding Banquet
• Some just said they would not come 3He sent his slaves to call those who had been invited to the wedding banquet, but they would not come
--Some just made light it, There farms and businesses were more of importance They were careless -about their souls 4Again he sent other slaves, saying, “Tell those who have been invited: Look, I have prepared my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready; come to the wedding banquet.” 5But they made light of it and went away, one to his farm, another to his business
-Others abused the messengers 5 while the rest seized his slaves(those slaves of Christ the redeemed), mistreated them, and killed them
-One day the Kings going to say that’s enough “Son Go get My Children 7The king was enraged. He sent his troops, destroyed those murderers, and burned their city.
3. One thing we learn about God is that God is always Inviting 3He sent his slaves to call those who had been invited to the wedding banquet, --In verse 4 He sent others to tell them to come consider this is a fantastic meal 4Again he sent other slaves, saying, “Tell those who have been invited: Look, I have prepared my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready; come to the wedding banquet.” --In verse 9 He includes all People God is inclusive 9Go therefore into the main streets, and invite everyone you find to the wedding banquet.” 10Those slaves went out into the streets and gathered all whom they found, both good and bad; so the wedding hall was filled with guests.
4. God invites the UNWORTHY 8Then he said to his slaves, “The wedding is ready, but those invited were not worthy. 9Go therefore into the main streets, and invite everyone you find to the wedding banquet.” 10Those slaves went out into the streets and gathered all whom they found, both good and bad; so the wedding
--God invites, God gives invitation, and God knows the invitees.
No matter God invites
--God invites despite our Backgrounds
God invites us despite our educational stature
God invites despite the amounts of our bank accounts
God invites no matter our race or gender --,
God invites us to come to his banquet, God wants us to be present in what he is doing, God invites us to come: come to the waters, come home, come to the banquet, come to abundance, come to eternal life, come to worship, come to God.
5. Remember you are invited but you must come through the Blood that robes one with righteousness. Can’t have a pretense of Love for God must be genuine
Must have a Robe that is Radiant
Must have Robe that is without spot or wrinkle.
Must have a robe that is holy and blameless.
You simply must have a robe washed in the blood of the lamb.
If not you will be speechless, bound hand and foot, cast into outer darkness, there will be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth