- "The Hinge of History"
- Ps 98 echoes Ps 96
- Psalm 98 is a sort of Coronation Hymn
- Proclaiming the conquering Messiah
- Praise can never be exhausted.
- The more we ponder the feats of our Lord
- The more we are moved to uplift & adore Him Luke 2:10–11 (AV)
10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
1. DAVID. (The Voice.) v.1 - "O sing unto the Lord a new song."
MARY. (The Echo.) Lk 1:45 - "My soul doth magnify the Lord."
2. DAVID. (The Voice.) v. 1 - "He hath done marvellous things."
MARY. (The Echo.) Lk 1:49 - "He that is mighty hath done great things."
3. DAVID. (The Voice.) v.1 -"With his own right hand and holy arm hath he gotten himself the victory."
MARY. (The Echo.) Lk 1:51 - "He hath showed strength with his arm, and scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts."
4. DAVID. (The Voice.) v.2 - "The Lord hath made known his salvation; his righteousness hath he openly showed, in the sight of the heathen"
MARY. (The Echo.) Lk 1:50 - "His mercy is on them that fear him, from generation to generation."
5. DAVID. (The Voice.) v.3 - "He hath remembered his mercy and his truth."
MARY. (The Echo.) Lk 1:54 -"He hath holpen (helped, embraced) his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy."
These parallels are very striking; and it seems as if Mary had this psalm in her eye when she composed her song of triumph.
Imagine a little man
- 5 feet high;
- A large head
- Made bigger with a huge wig,
- Hooked nose
- Small piercing eyes,
- A frail and sickly body;
- The whole combination looking more like an embryo than a fully developed organism;
- That was the way one described him.
- A beautiful and accomplished young, lady
- Once upon a time fell in love with him
- It was through his poetry, having never seen him.
- She declined him in her most gracious manner and added with no doubt the best of intentions,
- “Mr. Watts, I only wish I could say that I admire the casket as much as I admire the jewel.”
- Pretty plain talk; but young Watts took it sweetly and the two remained good friends for more then 30 years.
- Watts never married.
- Born 1674-1748 ---- 74 yr.
- At age 4 learned Latin
- 8 Learned Gk.
- 11 Learned French
- 13 Learned Hebrew
- Pastor of London’s Mark Lane Church
- KJV - 64 yr. earlier
- John Bunyan - 1684 Pilgrims Progress
- Jonathan Swift - Gullivers Travels (Clergyman & Politician)
- Voltaire - Infidel
- John Methodist & Charles Wesley 9000 hymns
- George Frederick Handel - “The Messiah”
- Sickly Man
- Lord Mayor of London invited him for a week stayed 36 years till his death
- Here on this estate he composed over 600 hymns
“ Come We That Love The Lord”
“O God Our Help In Ages Past”
“When I survey the Wondrous Cross”
“Alas And Did My Savior Bleed”
“Joy To The World” - Music By Handel
- Joy To The World from Ps 98
Note the 7 notes - the perfect scale
7 - days make a perfect week
7 - colors make a perfect rainbow
- Ps. 98 has 7 points to make a perfect outline
1. Note Of Praise – v.1
- JTTW “Joy to the world the Lord is come”
- v. 1 O sing unto the LORD a new song;
- A New Song – v.1
- Music is Harmony
- Harmony is perfection
- Perfection is our Dream
- Our Dream is Heaven
- v.1 “Joy to the world the Lord is come”
- v. 4-8 - Make a joyful noise
- Let all creation Praise
- Using all that we have to sing a new song
- v.8 The floods clap - The hills are joyful
Isaiah 55:12 (AV)
12 For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.
- From a babbling brook to a roaring falls
- In the "Sound of Music" Maria sings "The hills are alive with the sound of music
- Hills whisper in the breeze
- Insects buzz their chorus
- Bird's sing their song
2. Note Of Wonder – v.1
JTTW - last line “Wonder of His love”
v.1 - .....for he hath done marvelous things
* Marvelous Creation - universe
* Marvelous Birth - by the HS
* Marvelous Life – His Miracles
- Fed 1000’s
- Raised the dead
- Stilled the storm
* Marvelous Gift – Salvation
* Marvelous Resurrection – His power
* Marvelous Promise – His Return
* Marvelous Rule – Eternal Peace
* Marvelous Book – Showing Truth
* Marvelous Transformation – Eternal Life
* Marvelous Fullness – Work of the HS
3. Note Of Victory ¬– v.1
- JTTW. - last verse “He rules the world with truth”
- v.1 “his right hand and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory”
- Right arm His son – Redeems, strengthens
- Right Hand the HS quickens, leads
4. Note of Mercy
- JTTW- 2nd verse “Joy to the earth the savior reigns”
- v.2 “The Lord hath made known his salvation”
- Ruined lives restored
- Take the women at the well
- Hopeless but ready to receive
Luke 2:30–32 (AV)
30 For mine eyes have seen thy salvation,
31 Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people;
32 A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.
Luke 3:6 (AV)
6 And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.
5. Note Of Faithfulness
- JTTW - 3rd v. “He comes to make His blessings known”
- v. 3 -”He hath remembered his mercy and his truth toward the house of Israel”
- He was faithful to Israel
- He is faithful to the church
- He is faithful to you
- 1 Thess. 5:24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.
- 2 Thess. 3:3 But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.
6. Note Of Grace.
- JTTW- v.3 “No more let sin & sorrows grow”
- v.3 - all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.
- God goes to the ends of the earth to bring salvation
7. Note Of Hope.
- JTTW – Verse 1&2 starts with “Joy to the world”
- Psalm 98:9 ....; for he cometh to judge the earth: with righteousness shall he judge the world, and the people with equity.
- He comes, He absolutely comes, He quickly comes.
- Freedom from bondage
- “Coming Again “
Revelation 14:3 (AV)
3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, .....