Read Isaiah 46:9-11 ESV
As we grow close in our experience with Him, His Will unfolds in His perfect timing! In this lesson, we will try to explain what the whole will of God is, just in a three statement.
I. God's will is Decreed.
• This is so known as Providential Will of God. It cannot be thwarted or stopped by anything. It is already determined even before the world was created.
• His providential will. God’s wisdom is beyond any person’s, and we can trust His ways even if we do not fully understand them. However, sometimes we think that we know better than God.
• God uses mortal man to accomplish His providential will.
• ISAIAH 46:10 ESV — "declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’"
• ISAIAH 14:26-27 ESV — "This is the purpose that is purposed concerning the whole earth, and this is the hand that is stretched out over all the nations. 27 For the LORD of hosts has purposed, and who will annul it? His hand is stretched out, and who will turn it back?"
• EPHESIANS 1:11 ESV — "In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the
purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will."
• PROBLEM: Man sinned.
• SOLUTION: God's decreed that all men will be saved that is why He sent Jesus to save the humanity from their sins.
II. God's will is Desired.
• This is also known as the Moral Will of God. This is God’s commandment for all humanity, and laws concerning lifestyle and righteous living for all Christians.
• This is all about God’s promises of blessings if we follow His commands but disobedience leads to negative consequences.
• When we choose to live according to God’s moral standards, we will be able to live life as He intended.
• 1 THESSALONIANS 4:3-8 ESV — "3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual
immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness.8 Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you."
• 1 THESSALONIANS 5:16-18 ESV — "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. "
• 1 KINGS 2:3 ESV — "And keep the charge of the LORD your God, walking in his ways and keeping his statutes, his commandments, his rules, and his testimonies, as it is written in the Law of Moses, that you may prosper in all that you do and wherever you turn"
• TITUS 2:11-14 ESV — "For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works."
III. God's will is Directed.
• This is also known as the Personal / Specific Will of God.
• This is God's special plan for each believer (whom we marry, career, education, etc.).
• God has a personal will for each of us. And with His good, pleasing, and perfect will, He desires to unfold His unique plans for our lives as we abide in Him.
• JEREMIAH 29:11 ESV — "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare[a] and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope"
• PSALM 145:17 ESV — "The Lord is righteous in all his ways and kind in all his works."
• ROMANS 12:1-2 ESV — "I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."
CONCLUSION: God’s sovereignty will enable us to discover His perfect will for us as we rely on His grace through Christ Jesus.