GOD CONFIRMS HIS MAJESTY BY DELIVERING THE HUMBLE FROM
THE ATTACKS OF THOSE WHO REFUSE TO FEAR HIM
I. (:1-3) GOD DEFENDS HIS DWELLING PLACE AGAINST ALL WEAPONS OF WARFARE / GOD THE DEFENDER
A. God Dwells Among Those who Know Him
1. "God is known in Judah"
2. "His name is great in Israel"
3. "His tabernacle is in Salem "
4. "His dwelling place also is Zion"
B. God Breaks All the Weapons of Warfare
1. "the flaming arrows"
2. "the shield"
3. "the sword"
II. (:4-7) GOD DECLARES HIS MAJESTY BY REBUKING PROUD ATTACKERS / GOD THE DECLARER (REBUKER)
A. Declares His Majesty
"Thou art resplendent "
"More majestic than the mountains of grey"
B. Rebukes Proud Attackers
rider and horse
C. Terrifies the Strongest Warrior
III. (:8-10) GOD DELIVERS THE HUMBLE BY MAKING THE WRATH OF MEN PRAISE HIM / GOD THE DELIVERER
A. The Sound of Judgment Quiets the Earth
1. Judgment Comes from Heaven
2. The Earth Listens in Fearful Silence
3. The Humble Hear and are Saved
B. The Wrath of Man Praises God
IV. (:11-12) GOD WILL DESTROY THOSE WHO REFUSE TO HONOR HIS MAJESTY / GOD THE DESTROYER
A. It Pays to Give to God
1. Fulfill your Vows
He is the Lord God
2. Bring Gifts
He is worthy to be feared
B. God’s Paybacks are Inescapable
C. (No matter how powerful you are) The Only Answer = Fear God
* * * * * * * * * *
1) What is involved with the concept of God being “known” in Judah?
2) What is so special to God about the city of Jerusalem? Why?
3) How does God’s defeat of the armies of Sennacherib fit this picture? (2 Kings 18:13-19:37; Isa. 36-37)
4) What types of “vows” have we fulfilled in our relationship with the Lord?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)