Object: A coin and a fortune cookie.
Scripture: Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Matthew 7: 7
People do different things when they have a difficult decision to make.
• Urim and thummim. Like dice.
• Draw straws…..short one gets thrown overboard
• Some people flip a coin and say "If it's heads, I'll do this and if it is tails, I'll do that." I can remember doing that when I was a little boy. If it came up tails and that wasn't what I wanted to do, I'd flip it again and say, "Let's try two out of three." I'd just keep flipping until I got the answer I wanted.
• Here's another way that some people make important decisions. It is a fortune cookie. When you break it open, there is a little piece of paper inside that is supposed to tell you what choices to make in your life. I guess if you don't like what it says, you can just keep opening cookies until you find one that says what you want to hear. This is true. I opened a fortune cookie a couple of years ago. It said, don’t believe what you read in fortune cookies
• Some people use the "eeney, meeney, miney, moe" method to decide what they will do. There are a lot of ways that people use to choose what they are going to do, but I don't think they are very good ways to make an important decision.
What should we do when we have to make an important decision? The Bible says, "Seek and you will find, ask and it will be given to you, knock and the door will be opened to you."
"Seek" - the first thing we should do when we have a decision to make is to look for the answer. Where should we look? I think the best place to look is in the Bible. The Bible is God's word and it is true and reliable.
"Ask" - The next thing we should do is to ask. When we have an important decision, we should pray and ask God to tell us what we should do.
"Knock" - We will face many doors …if we walk through that particular door, we may find the answer. When there are several doors and we don't know which to choose, we should knock on the door (pray) and wait to see if God opens that door.
So, what should we do when we face important decisions? Seek for the answer in the Bible, ask God in prayer, knock and wait for God to open the door.
Dear Lord, help us to remember to ask you for the answers to the difficult decisions that we face each day.