BREAK OUT OF YOUR RUT AND SING A NEW SONG OF SHOUTS OF JOY
Important theme throughout the Psalms:
33:3 "Sing to Him a new song"
40:3 "He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to out God"
96:1 "Sing to the Lord a new song"
98:1 "Sing to the Lord a new Song, For He has done wonderful things"
144:9 "I will sing a new song to Thee, O God"
149:1 "Sing to the Lord a new song"
Stuck in a rut is a bad place to be. Our Old Song gets tiresome to us -- and you can believe that the Lord is sick of it too. What we need is to sing the New Song that the Lord has put in our heart.
The song of Joy.
The song of Enthusiasm.
The song of Praise.
The song of Victory.
I. (:1-3) CELEBRATING THE VICTORY OF THE KING:
CONTRAST BETWEEN THE OLD SONG AND THE NEW SONG
A. Boredom vs. Excitement
"For He has done wonderful things"
1. The Old Song is one of Boredom
example of Solomon in Ecclesiastes -- "Vanity of vanity"
2. The New Song is one of Excitement
the Magnificat -- song of Mary (Luke 1:46-55)
How excited do you think Mary was?
How excited do you think Hannah was? (1 Samuel 2:1-10)
B. Defeat vs. Victory
"His right hand and His holy arm have gained the victory for Him"
1. The Old Song is one of Grumbling and Defeat
cf. The children of Israel as God delivered them from bondage in Egypt and brought them into the promised land:
a. Despairing when they reached the Red Sea, pursued by the Egyptians
b. Grumbling because they had no water Exod. 15:22-24
c. Grumbling because they had no food Exod. 16:3
d. Grumbling again about lack of water Exod. 17:3
e. Grumbling again because they didn’t like the menu Num. 11:1-10
f. Negative report of the spies: We can’t take the land Num. 13:28-31
2. The New Song is one of Victory
song of Moses: Exod. 15:1-21
cf. Faith of Caleb and Joshua Num. 13:30
C. Pride vs. Dependence
"The Lord has made known His salvation;
He has revealed His righteousness in the sight of the nations"
1. The Old Song is one of Pride
cf. Nebuchadnezzar -- Daniel 4:28-30
2. The New Song is one of Dependence
D. Loneliness and Disappointment vs. Love and Security
"He has remembered His lovingkindness and His faithfulness to the house of Israel"
1. The Old Song is one of Loneliness and Disappointment
2. The New Song is one of Love and Security
cf. Book: Song of Solomon
E. Ignorance vs. Enlightenment
"All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God"
1. The Old Song is one of Darkness and Ignorance
2. The New Song is one of Light and Enlightenment
II. (:4-6) CELEBRATING THE REIGN OF THE KING
A. With Shouts of Joy
B. With Songs of Joy
C. With Instruments of Joy
lyre / sound of melody.trumpets / sound of the horn
III. (:7-9) CELEBRATING THE RETURN OF THE KING TO JUDGE (TO MAKE ALL THINGS RIGHT)
A. Global Anticipation by all those who will benefit
1. All of God’s Creation = "the world"
let the sea roar and all it contains
let the rivers clap their hands
let the mountains sing together for joy
2. All of God’s People = "those who dwell in it "
B. Global Judgment
* * * * * * * * * *
1) What must you do in order to bring before the Lord new and different songs than you’ve sung in the past?
2) The Lord has shown Himself to be powerful, able to save and bring about victory. Can you recognize God’s power and victory in areas of your life that needed His saving grace?
3) If God causes nature to move -- out of praise for Him -- does He expect anything less from us when we worship?
4) What will be God’s yardstick for judging the world when He comes?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)