Psalm 51 Four Steps To Revival
Intro :- David's Sin Adultery (12 months) Murder (Few months) Concealment (Of Sin)
1. PRAYER - 1 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
A Broken Spirit - 51:1-9
(a) A Broken Spirit Confesses Sin -
The Compassion Of Our God - Have mercy upon me, O God
The Charity Of Our God - according to thy lovingkindness
The Cleansing of Our God - blot out my transgressions
(b) A Broken Spirit Comprehends Sinfulness - 2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. There was a confession to the... Reality of His Sin. (3) For I acknowledge my transgressions Responsibility of His Sin (3) and my sin is ever before me.
Root of His Sin 5 I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
Rebellion of His Sin 4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
(c) A Broken Spirit Complies With The Saviour - 4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
He Demands A Right Admission - 4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned
He Demands A Right Attitude - :6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
He Demands A Right Atonement - :7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
(d) A Broken Spirit Concludes In Salvation - :,8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. 9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
A Broken Spirit Saddens The Heart - :8a
A Broken Spirit Sickens The Body - :8b
A Broken Spirit Secures The Spirit - :10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
2. PURITY - 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
THE CLEANSING FROM SIN. V 7-10
There Is :-
A. Blood Involved. 7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Hyssop was a little shrub with which they applied the O.T. sacrificial blood. This verse is the counterpart to “ The blood of Jesus Christ …. all sin.” ( 1 Jn 1:7 )
B. Blessing Involved. 8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
C. Blotting out Involved. 9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
D. Building Involved 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
3. PROCLAMATION 13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways;
Note The :- (a) Timing Of The Message "Then" (b) Theme Of The Message "teach transgressors thy ways" Nature Of :- Sin, Of Sorrow, Of Sacrifice, Of Substitution,Of Salvation (c) Target Of The Message "transgressors" (d) Triumph Of The Message "and sinners shall be converted unto thee"
4. PRODUCTION and sinners shall be converted unto thee. 1. Surrendered to TEACH TRANSGRESSORS.... V 13a ...Then will I teach transgressors thy ways;
2. Surrendered to SEEK SOULS.... V 13b ...and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
3. Surrendered to PROCLAIM PRAISES.... Psa 51:14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.15 O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall show forth thy praise. 1. He became Renewed in Strength.... 2. He became Refreshed in Soul.... 3. He became Restored in Salvation.... 4. He became Re-enlisted in Service....
When I stand at the judgment seat of Christ
And He shows me His plan for me;
The plan of my life as it might have been
Had He had His way, and I see
How I blocked Him here and I checked Him there
And I would not yield my will,
Shall I see the grief in my Saviour's eyes;
Grief though He loves me still?
Oh, He'd have had me rich, and I stand there poor,
Stripped of all but His grace,
While my memory runs like a hunted thing
Down the paths I can't retrace.
Then my desolate heart will well nigh break
With tears that I cannot shed
I'll cover my face with my empty hands
And bow my uncrowned head
No. Lord of the years that are left to me
I yield them to Thy hand.
Take me, make me, mold me
To the pattern Thou hast planned.