GOD THE AUTHOR OF RECONCILIATION
II Corinthians 5:19
I. WHAT RECONCILIATION IS.
1. It implies that there was a former friendship.
2. It implies an enmity between God and man.
3. It implies that God is the prime Author of this reconciliation, yet no man is actually reconciled to God until he complies with those conditions whereupon God offers it. To reconcile then, is to settle a quarrel and make friends again.
II. GOD THE FATHER IS THE AUTHOR OF RECONCILIATION
1. Man was so depraved that he knew not how to desire it, and had no mind to cherish reconciliation; Romans 1:28-30 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
I Corinthians 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. Barne;s says “Not “by foolish preaching,” but by the preaching of the cross, which was regarded as foolish and absurd by the people of the world.”
2. Reconciliation could not be accomplished by the unblemished wisdom of angels; I Peter 1:12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.
Steven Curtis Chapman song.
III. HOW GOD CHOSE TO BRING ABOUT RECONCILIATION.
1. God chose and appointed Christ; Isaiah 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
Isaiah 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
a. He was appointed by the Father to this end; Romans 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
b. God appointed Him to this work with a high delight, as one fully fit for the work.
2. God the Father solemnly called Him; John 10:36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
3. God gave Him a particular command concerning our reconciliation; John 10:17,18 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.
Philippians 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
Romans 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
4. The Father fitted Christ for the great undertaking.
a. He is fitted with a body, by the Holy Spirit, from the seed of the woman; and makes the union between the Divine and human nature.
He is filled with the Holy Spirit for the work of reconciliation; John 3:34 For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God; for He gives the Spirit without measure.
(1) He was holy. This was necessary because as our High Priest he had to be undefiled; Hebrews 7:26 For such a High Priest was fitting for us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and has become higher than the heavens;
(2) He was filled with wisdom and knowledge; Isaiah 11:2-4 The Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon Him, The Spirit of wisdom and understanding, The Spirit of counsel and might, The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD. His delight is in the fear of the LORD, And He shall not judge by the sight of His eyes, Nor decide by the hearing of His ears; But with righteousness He shall judge the poor, And decide with equity for the meek of the earth; He shall strike the earth with the rod of His mouth, And with the breath of His lips He shall slay the wicked.
(3) He had mighty power to accomplish this undertaking; Acts 10:38 God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.
(4) He was not only commissioned but was given the fullness of authority as well as the fullness of ability by the Father. The end of this was the reconciliation and redemption of man. Christ testified of the love of God and made a perfect satisfaction for our sins
Isaiah 43:10,11 "You are My witnesses," says the LORD, "And My servant whom I have chosen, That you may know and believe Me, And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, Nor shall there be after Me. I, even I, am the LORD, And besides Me there is no savior.
Galatian 1:4 Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father.
Steven Curtis Chapman
Was God smiling
When He spoke the words
That made the world
And did he cry about the flood
And what does God's voice sound like
When He sings, when He's angry
These are just a few things
That the angels have on me
Well, I can't fly
At least not yet
I've got no halo on my head
And I can't even start to picture Heaven's beauty
But I've been shown the Savior's love
The grace of God has raised me up
To show me things the angels long to look into
And I know things
The Angels only wish they knew
I have seen the dark and desperate place
Where sin will take you
I've felt loneliness and shame
And I have watched the blinding light of grace
Come breaking through with a sweetness
Only tasted by the forgiven and redeemed
And someday I'll sit down with my angel friends
Up in Heaven
They'll tell me about creation
And I'll tell them a story of grace