PSALM 150:1-6 “IF YOU’RE BREATHING, THEN PRAISE THE LORD”
* Psa. 145:21; 146:1-2; 147:1; 148:1-5; 13 149:1
A) I believe according to the Bible, man was created to praise
and glorify the Lord.
* Isa. 43:7 God says, “For I have created him for my glory.”
B) The meaning of praise: To bestow approval upon, to honor,
worship, to glorify.
* The Hebrew word is “Yadah” which means “to stretch out the hands,
to worship with extended hands.”
* And it is translated here in our text as the word “praise.”
C) The Hebrew word for “praise” means: to address in a loud tone,
to glory and triumph in God.
* That is to hold up the hands in reverence, to open the hands and let
go of everything – Just stand and praise God open handedly.
* That means you’re not holding on to nothing ... Our problem is we
won’t let go of things or let go of our problems.
D) Let them go ... Lift up your hands and let’s give ourselves
to praising the Lord.
* We only praise something that we honor and prize highly.
* If we hold the Lord in the highest state of respect and admiration,
it’ll be easy to praise Him.
E) It is dangerous to make fun of praise – 2 Sam. 6:16; v.23
* Saul’s daughter, Michal, made fun of David praising the Lord,
and God shut her womb up.
* There are several things tonight that I want to bring to your attention:
(1) IT IS PLAIN THAT GOD’S WORD TEACHES PRAISE – Luke 19:29-40
A) Jesus was come near Bethphage and Bethany at the
Mount of Olives.
* He sent two of His disciples after a colt (donkey) ... A miracle .......
B) They brought the colt to Jesus, cast garments on it,
and Jesus got on it.
* If you will notice v.37, As Jesus was riding in .......
* The whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God
with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen.
* Did you notice the words, “began to praise him with a loud voice?”
C) Uncle Bud Robinson was in a dead church and he began
to pray real loud.
* Somebody told him that he didn’t have to pray so loud, that God wasn’t
deaf ... He said, “No, but He’s a long way from here.”
D) But anyway, they were praising God saying, “Blessed be the King
that cometh in the name of the Lord:”
* And some of the Pharisees told Jesus, “Master, rebuke your disciples.”
E) And Jesus said in v.40 “I tell you that, if these should hold their
peace, the stones would immediately cry out.”
* What if objects in this church started praising God?
F) In Acts 16:25-31, Paul and Silas was in jail ... Why?
* But at midnight, Paul and Silas prayed and sang praises unto God,
and as a result the jailer got saved.
* We can still praise God in the midst of difficult circumstances.
G) In Acts 3:1-9, The lame man at the gate called Beautiful.
* v.8 says, “And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them
into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.”
H) v.9 says, “And all the people saw him walking and praising God.”
* v.10 says that they were filled with wonder and amazement at what
happened to the lame man.
* Praise will help others to see the realness of what Jesus has done for us.
(2) PRAISE SHOWS THAT YOU ARE NOT ASHAMED OF CHRIST
* Mark 8:38 “Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me .......”
A) I cannot understand why people would be ashamed of
Jesus or His Words.
* Rom. 1:16 “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for .......”
B) Do you think Paul and Silas was ashamed of Jesus in the
jail at Philippi?
* Do you think the lame man at the gate called Beautiful was ashamed
of Jesus and His Word? ... Not on your life.
* I pledge allegiance to the Lamb of God.
(3) PRAISING GOD BRINGS JOY TO THE CHRISTIAN
A) I like to feel like I have been to church when I come.
* If we go to church praising God and seeking a blessing,
then we will leave rejoicing.
B) Psalm 122:1 “I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go .......”
* Our trials and problems will take away our praise if we allow them to.
* The reason why is we don’t praise God in our trials and problems.
C) Let me ask you, “Is your trials and problems bigger than God?”
* Then let God know that you know that He can take care of all
* If we will get into the habit of praising God, we’ll forget about our
problems and trials.
A) One goal of ours is to see the lost come to Jesus Christ.
* And the Word declares that true Holy Ghost praising the Lord will
bring conviction to the sinner.
* Psa. 1:5 says, “The sinner shall not sit in the congregation of the righteous.”
B) If we sit around like a bump on a pickle and not praise God .......
* Don’t expect souls to come to Jesus who gives real joy and peace.
* Let us hear the Word of God today and “Let everything that hath
breath praise the Lord.”