A. INTRODUCTION: WHAT IS THE BIBLE?
1. A compilation of 66 books, booklets, letters, and autobiographies.
2. Written by approximately 40 men.
3. Over a period of 1600 years.
4. Action in three continents: Asia, Africa, and Europe.
5. Genre: history, biography, autobiography, poetry, letters, journals, prophecy, speeches, genealogies, parables (stories), etc.
6. Record of God’s revelation of Himself.
7. Explanation of evil, its original source, continual existence in people, its scope.
8. Tells of salvation through Christ.
9. A Record of God dealing with His people the Jews in the Old Testament and the church in the New Testament.
10. A study of regeneration and transformation of people and cultures and nations.
11. Guideline for fellowship with God and getting victory over evil.
12. A hope for life with God in heaven after death, and for all eternity.
B. INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE BIBLE
1. Only one New Testament author is unknown – Hebrews
2. 100 million sold each year.
3. The sinner’s Bible, “Thou shalt commit adultery” only nine copies in existence
4. Shortest verse, “Jesus wept” (John 11:35).
5. King James 780,258 words.
6. Longest chapter – Psalm 119 (150).
7. Shortest chapter – Psalm 117 (2).
8. Eight out of ten Americans consider it inspired by God.
9. No original manuscripts exist/oldest. The Dead Sea Scrolls, 250 B.C.
10. Bestselling book of all time (7 billion).
11. China is largest producer of Bibles.
12. The Gideon Bible is most common stolen (hotels).
13. The smallest Bible etched on tip of ball point (1.2 million letters).
C. OTHER RELIGIOUS BOOKS
1. Written by founder’s attempt to find God. The Bible is God attempting to save people.
2. Others have mysterious unintelligible words, far-fetched ideas, inconceivable events, flying animals, people turned into animals, etc.
D. THE BIBLE: GOD’S REVELATION
1. Dual authors. “All scripture is given by inspiration of God” (2 Tim. 3:16).
2. Inspiration is “God breathed.” The Bible:
(a) Message of life.
(b) It is a method on infusing life.
3. The word gospel is good news for bad people.
(a) All have sinned (Rom. 3:23).
(b) All sinners die/punishment.
(c) Jesus was born without sin, and lived without sin, but became sin and died in the place of sinners (Rom. 5:12; 2 Cor. 5:21).
(d) Believe/receive Christ to receive eternal life (Rom. 10:9-10).
4. The Bible is light to convict, convince, convert, and transform.
5. Truthful book: it tells how good people do bad things.
6. Message of hope. It gives path to victory over sin, and the destination of living with God in heaven.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
Video presentations of the PBC are available online at trbc.org/pbc
Television Airing Times for the PBC
Go to hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.