1. The forgotten third Person of the Godhead.
a. Today many people pray, “Our Father, who art in heaven.”
b. Others pray to the Son, “In Jesus’ name” (John 14:13-14).
c. But the Holy Spirit is called the forgotten Person of the Godhead. “He shall not speak of Himself” (John 16:13, KJV).
2. We are instructed to pray for and through the Holy Spirit.
a. “Pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest” (Matt. 9:38, NKJV).
b. “Praying in the Holy Spirit” (Jude 20, NKJV).
3. A conversation is a two-way communication.
a. You listen to and speak to the Holy Spirit.
b. He listens as you speak to Him.
B. THE HOLY SPIRIT WANTS TO TALK TO YOU
1. He talked to you before you became a Christian. “When He (Holy Spirit) comes, He will convict (cause to see) the world of its sin, and of God’s righteousness, and of the coming judgment” (John 16:8, NLT).
a. He speaks through your conscience to point out sin (Rom. 2:15).
b. He points you to Jesus (John 16:14, NLT).
2. He talks to you through scripture. “But when the Father sends . . . the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you (as you write scripture) of everything I have told you” (John 14:26, NLT).
3. He breathes the words of God into your life. “All scripture is inspired (breathed) by God” (2 Tim. 3:16, NLT). “No scripture ever came from the prophet’s own understanding . . . moved by the Holy Spirit . . . from God” (2 Peter 1:20-21, NLT).
4. The Holy Spirit indwells you. “You are the temple of God, and the Spirit of God lives in you” (1 Cor. 3:16, NLT).
a. He speaks through your memory and conscience.
b. He speaks through new desires to know and serve God.
5. The Holy Spirit will move you to evangelism. “So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest to send more workers into His fields” (Matt. 9:38, NLT).
6. The Holy Spirit speaks through your serving spiritual gifts (abilities) about where and how to serve. “I want you to understand about your spiritual gifts . . . there are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but . . . from the same Spirit . . . different ways to serve . . . and there are different ways the Spirit works in you . . . but it is the same God” (1 Cor. 12:1, 4-6, ELT).
7. The Holy Spirit speaks through guidance. “You are controlled by the Spirit . . . who really lives within you” (Rom. 8:9, ELT).
C. YOU TALK TO THE HOLY SPIRIT
1. He orchestrates events so they just fall into place, i.e., He makes them seamless. “All things work together for good” (Rom. 8:28).
2. He closes doors or takes away burdens. “The Holy Spirit had prevented . . . at that time” (Acts 15:6, NLT). “The Spirit . . . did not allow” (Acts 15:8, NLT).
3. He tells you where to go. “We are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives” (Gal. 5:25, NLT).
4. He quickens (energizes) you. “It is the Spirit who quickens (gives life)” (John 6:63, NLT). He talks through the scriptures. “The Word of God is (quick) living and active and full of power (energizing)” (Heb. 4:12, NLT).
5. He leads you in worship. “The hour is coming when true worshipers will worship in Spirit” (John 4:23, NLT).
D. LET THE HOLY SPIRIT’S WILL USE YOU
1. To change your inner world by transformation.
a. New goals.
b. New desires.
c. New attitude.
d. New spiritual strength.
e. New spiritual gifts.
f. Old things pass away.
2. To change your surrounding world.
d. Prayer and intercession.
e. Letting your light shine.
3. To change the greater world.
a. Through your church.
b. Through prayer.
c. Through influencing reproducers.
1. Get on speaking terms with the Holy Spirit about your ministry because He is the One in charge of ministry.
2. Don’t forget about the Father and the Son.
3. Remember the ABCs of intercession.
Ask and you will receive, Matt. 7:7
Believe to receive, Mark 17:24
Confess your sins for forgiveness and cleanse, 1 John 1:9
4. True prayer to the Holy Spirit will lead to worshiping the Father. “Worship in spirit and in truth” (John 4:23).
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
Video presentations of the PBC are available online at trbc.org/pbc
Television Airing Times for the PBC
Go to hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.