All Scripture quoted in this lesson is from The Bible by Jesus unless otherwise noted
A. INTRODUCTION: WHAT MOTIVATED MOSES?
1. Moses was in God’s presence receiving the Ten Commandments. “Joshua heard the noise . . . there is war in the camp” (Ex. 32:17, KJV).
2. Corruption by Aaron and people. “I said to Moses . . . your people . . . have made a golden calf, worshiped it and sacrificed to it” (Ex. 32:7-8).
3. God’s holy judgment suggests beginning again with Moses. “They are . . . rebellious . . . burn My judgement against them. I will make of you—Moses—a great nation to take their place” (Ex. 32:10).
4. Moses pleads God’s promise. “Remember Your promise to Abraham, Isaac and Israel. You swore by Yourself . . . they would inherit the land” (Ex. 32:13-14).
B. MOSES DEALS WITH ISRAEL’S SIN
1. Moses’ anger. “Moses erupted in anger . . . threw down the two stone tablets, smashing them” (Ex. 32:19).
2. Made people swallow their sin. “Took the calf and melted it . . . ground it into a fine powder and spread it on water and made people drink” (Ex. 32:20).
3. Judgment. “Strap on your sword . . . kill everyone who is in obvious sin associated with the golden calf” (Ex. 32:27).
4. Challenge to consecrate. Consecrate yourselves to the Lord . . . that He may bestow upon you His blessing (32:29).
5. Warning. “You have done a terrible sin. I will go back to intercede for you on the mountain” (Ex. 32:30).
6. Moses confesses Israel’s sin. “Please forgive their . . . terrible sin. They made a god out of gold” (Ex. 32:31).
7. Moses put his life on the altar. “Now please forgive their sin—if not, then blot me out of your book” (Ex. 32:33).
8. After you give God your whole life, what can you pray?
C. SHOW ME YOUR GLORY: EX. 33:15-23
1. God promised to forgive because he knew Moses. “I will do what you ask Me to do because . . . I know you” (Ex. 32:17).
2. Can’t see God. “You can’t see My face because no human can see me and live” (Ex. 33:20). Why?
a. His holiness will consume.
b. Nothing to see. God is spirit (John 4:23).
3. God promises. “I will let My goodness pass before you” (Ex. 33:19).
4. God protects. “I will put you in the crevasse of the rock when I pass by” (Ex. 33:22).
You hide in the side of Jesus to be protected by His blood
5. God’s glory passed by (Ex. 33:6-7).
I came down . . . and called out my name,
I am the Lord a merciful and gracious God.
Slow to anger, rich in love and truth,
Showing grace to thousands of generations,
Forgiving every kind of sin and rebellion.
6. Response of worship. “Moses bowed his head to the ground, lying flat before Me” (Ex. 33:8).
7. God’s presence transforms. “When Moses came down the mountain, with the two tablets engraved by My hand, he didn’t realize his face was radiating because he had been in My presence” (Ex. 33:29).
D. PRACTICAL TO TAKE AWAY
1. You can experience God’s presence. “Make this your passion; experience Me and the power of My resurrection” (Phil. 3:10).
2. Why do you miss God’s presence? “Moses put a veil over his face . . . minds were hardened . . . when the Old Testament is read, a veil covers the mind, so they cannot understand the truth” (2 Cor. 3:13-14).
3. How to experience God’s presence. “The Holy Spirit . . . is working in your life, there is freedom to understand My truth . . . look to see My brightness reflected in the mirror of the Word of God . . . to be constantly transformed into My image” (2 Cor. 3:10).
4. Our faces don’t sparkle but Jesus’ inner presence flows through us.
E. SEVEN LESSONS
1. Something happens to you when you encounter God.
2. There are certain places you will encounter God.
3. God’s names are linked to God’s presence.
4. You need God’s presence, not an angel or anyone else.
5. You encounter God on His terms, not your own.
6. When you encounter God, He will know you.
7. Claim God’s promises when encountering God.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
All PBC lessons are available online at trbc.org/pbc. Go to www.Hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.
Dr. Towns' email is ELTowns@liberty.edu
Dr. Towns’ web address is www.elmertowns.com