A. HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT GOD IS LIKE?
1. By creation, miracles, laws, our conscience and His names.
2. We need to examine every source that tells us about God to fully understand His attributes and nature.
B. WHY STUDY THE NAMES OF GOD
1. To understand His character.
2. To know the different ways we relate to Him.
3. To realize He is the source to solving our problems.
4. To teach us to look to Him in our problems.
5. To cause us to grow.
C. THE THREE PRIMARY NAMES OF GOD
1. Elohim – Creator God (Gen. 1:1).
2. Jehovah – LORD, Covenant Keeper (2:4).
3. Adonai – Lord, Master (15:2).
D. THE COMPOUND NAMES OF GOD
1. LORD God – Jehovah Elohim (2:4).
2. Lord God – Adonai Jehovah (15:2).
3. Lord God – Adonai Elohim (Daniel 9:3).
E. HOW THE JEWS USED GOD’S NAME
1. The name of God was associated with God’s presence or power (Deut. 12:5; Isa. 18:7). The Jews would not say the names of false gods (Ex. 23:13; Josh. 23:7).
2. The name of God was used with personal greetings, “The Lord be with you,” and “The Lord bless thee” (Ruth 2:4).
3. The name Jehovah became too holy to pronounce.
4. During the Maccabean uprising in the second century B.C., the Jews were prohibited from using the Lord’s name. When they gained independence, they used it in documents.
5. Jesus introduced a new name for Lord God in the New Testament (Luke 11:1-4). That name was Father.
F. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. We are forbidden to use His name in cursing (Ex. 20:7).
2. We seek God by studying His name (Ps. 46:10; John 1:12).
3. We gain knowledge about ourselves through His name (Gen. 1:27).
4. We gain life from God through His name (John 17:3; Acts 4:12).
Think of the name(s) of God you use when praying to Him.
1. What names do you use in talking to Him?
2. Why do you call God by certain names?
3. What can you learn about yourself by the names you give to Him?
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
All PBC lessons are available online at trbc.org/pbc. Go to www.Hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.
Dr. Towns' email is ELTowns@liberty.edu