A LITTLE GIRL IN PHILIPPI
A. WHO WAS INTERESTED IN THIS LITTLE GIRL?
1. This little girl was possessed by a demon and possessed by merchants.
2. She obviously had a Momma and a Daddy.
3. However, nothing is ever said about them.
4. It seems that they were inconsequential to her life.
5. She didn’t seem to matter to them.
6. Evidently, they had abandoned her.
7. The only ones interested in her were demons and merchants.
B. THE SEVEN SONS OF JOHNS
My wife tells the story of a young woman who brought seven little boys into the clinic. They ranged in ages from 3 to 10 years old. She discovered that they were all named John. My wife said, "Doesn’t that cause some difficulties for you?" The woman said, No, that it was actually very convenient because all she had to do when it was supper time was just call for John and they would all come to the table. My wife said, "But what do you do if you only want one of them to come for something? How do you tell them apart?" The woman said, "Oh, that’s real easy. You see, they all have different last names…"
C. DOES MOM REALLY KNOW?
A little boy asked, "Mom, marriage makes you have babies, doesn’t it?" The mom hesitantly answered, "Well, not necessarily. Just because you are married doesn’t necessarily mean that you get pregnant." The boy continued with his questions, "Then how do you get pregnant?"
The mom was a little embarrassed and not sure what to say next. She said, "It’s kind of hard to explain." At this, the boy thought for a moment, then he tilted his head a little to the side as he looked his mother straight in the eyes and said, "You really don’t know how it works, do you, Mom?"
D. I’VE WANTED TO ASK THIS OF SOME PARENTS
1. I’ve wanted to say, "You really don’t know what causes kids do you?"
2. It seems that they would either learn to love them and take care of them, or else they would just stop having kids if they knew what caused them.
3. This little demon possessed girl seems to have been abandoned by her parents.
I. POSSESSED BY A DEMON
"…a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us…" (v.16)
A. SHE WAS JUST A LITTLE GIRL
1. Strong’s defines the Greek word here as "a young girl, a damsel, a maid-servant, or a young female slave."
2. The word is a compound of the Greek word, paidia, which means "child."
3. She was just a little girl!
B. BUT, SHE WAS DEMON POSSESSED
1. The Bible itself says that she was demon possessed.
2. The Bible further states that she was a soothsayer or fortune-teller.
3. She had a familiar spirit or a demon.
4. They would use her for fortunetelling.
5. The Greek word is python, that’s the devil inside of her giving her knowledge about things.
6. Just because somebody gives you your name and address, you think they’re of God?
7. If you don’t know your own name and address, you need to be prayed for anyway.
8. So just because somebody has some knowledge doesn’t mean that they are of God.
C. DEMONS WILL USE ANYONE TO DISCREDIT GOD
1. I’ve seen little children that could give details of things they never saw.
2. Their parents were into witchcraft and divination and the children were turned over to be demon possessed by these familiar spirits.
3. They could accuratedly describe events from before they were born.
4. There were many who claimed that this proved reincarnation.
5. It didn’t prove anything to me except the fact that the child had a demon just like this little servant girl in Philippi.
6. When you pray over them in the name of Jesus, they get delivered from such things.
7. This little girl was being used and abused.
8. She was being used by demons and she was being used by merchants who wished to make merchandise of her.
II. POSSESSED BY MERCHANTS
"…a certain damsel… which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying…" (v.16)
A. SOME SEE THEIR CHILDREN AS MERE POSSESSIONS
1. Some attempt to live out their fantasies through their children.
2. They PUSH their children to excel at sports.
3. Winning is everything for these parents.
4. I will admit, winning is more fun than losing, but winning isn’t everything.
5. I was more proud of my kids when someone told me that they were the most well mannered and courteous team at a BQ match earlier this year, than when they won it all in the state finals.
6. What good is a soccer trophy or a BQ trophy 50 years from now?
7. But a young lady who knows how to be courteous and well mannered under pressure has learned a lesson that she can use when Mom and Dad are dead and gone.
B. SOME LOVE MONEY MORE THAN LITTLE GIRLS
1. Some, like these merchants, seek to make money off of children
2. Some are more interested in child support than in what is best for their children.
a. They don’t intend to raise the child, they just don’t want to pay child support.
b. They get custody and turn the child over to grand parents to be raised.
c. They don’t care who are how the child is raised, just as long as they don’t have to pay child support.
d. Others draw child support and never use it on the kids.
e. They love child support more than little girls!
3. Some are more interested in a welfare check than in raising a family.
a. They have welfare babies to collect welfare checks.
b. They put them out on the streets and collect the check
c. They turn them over to the gangs, and collect the check
d. They love welfare checks more than little girls!
4. Some are more interested in making money than in little girls
a. They abandon their children in order to make money.
b. They abandon their families in order to make money.
c. They love money more than little girls!
5. I am reminded of a story that Dr. John R. Rice once told. He was preparing for a huge evangelistic campaign which would reach tens of thousands of people. A gentleman had come to his home to help make plans for the campaign. While they were visiting over these plans, one of Dr. Rice’s daughter’s came up and asked him to tie her shoe. Dr. Rice stopped what he was doing and reached down to pick up his little daughter. He gave her his undivided attention as he tied her shoe and held her for a moment. Since he was often on the road and away from home, he wanted her to know that she was important to him. Dr. Rice never had any problems with his children. I can’t help but think that it was partly because he always took time to pay attention to the little things in their lives while he was at home.
C. THESE MERCHANTS MADE MERCHANDISE OF HER
1. If you ever want to make a merchant mad, mess with his business.
2. Most merchants have decent, honest businesses and they don’t deserve to have their businesses destroyed.
3. However, those who are selling drugs to our children are not doing a decent, honest service to our society.
4. They are making merchandise of the children.
5. They deserve to have their business messed with.
6. Those who sell child pornography need to have someone messing up their business.
7. Those making merchandise of this young girl were upset when she got delivered.
8. They loved money more than they loved little girls.
9. They saw they couldn’t use her anymore.
10. And they stirred up a mob Paul and Silas beaten and imprisoned.
III. BOUGHT BY GOD
A. SHE NEEDED REDEMPTION
1. She was possessed by demons.
2. She was possessed by merchants.
3. But, she was BOUGHT BY GOD!
B. PAUL SPOKE TO THE SPIRIT INSIDE OF HER
1. Notice, this little girl followed Paul crying out, "These men are servants of the most high God."
2. Finally after many days, the Bible says, Paul turned and said to the spirit inside of her (v.18).
3. That’s what we need to do, say to the spirit inside of those daddies that are neglecting their little girls.
4. Speak to the spirits inside those mothers that are neglecting their children.
5. Speak to the spirits inside those aunts and uncles and relatives that are abusing little children.
6. Paul turned and said to the spirit in her, "I command you in the name of Jesus Christ come out of her."
C. NOTICE THE NAME THAT PAUL USED
1. He used the name of the one who had purchased her with His own blood on the cross of Calvary!
2. He used the name of the one who had bought her out of slavery!
3. That’s the same name that can set you free today.
4. The name of Jesus!
5. He not only bought her out of slavery, He also purchased you!
6. 1Cor 6:20 "For ye are bought with a price…"