Matthew 28:19-20 NIV
19. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20. and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
2 Timothy 2:2 AMP - And the [instructions] which you have heard from me along with many witnesses, transmit and entrust [as a deposit] to reliable and faithful men who will be competent and qualified to teach others also.
• Jesus commissioned His Church (ecclesia – governing body of the Kingdom) to "Make Disciples of All Nations!"
I. The Five-Fold Ministry Defined
God’s goal through the five-fold ministry is to bring the Body of Christ into a place of maturity where they begin winning lost people to Jesus, disciple new believers, lift each other up and minister to one another in love. This is done through the Five-Fold Ministry.
A. Discipleship and God’s Divine Order for His Church flow together. Ephesians 4:11-16 (Read & Expound)
1. Apostle – A Ministry Leader who oversees the work of the Lord.
a. They usually function as ministry planters/re-planters and/or administrators of God’s work and General Overseers of the work of the Lord.
b. An Apostle will have ministries from different arena’s attaching to and flowing in and out from their ministries.
c. They will very likely have other ministries who consider them as their “home or launching place.”
2. Prophet – A Seer. Someone who needs strong oversight from an Apostle because they can lose their way very easily.
a. A Prophet has the uncanny ability to see things coming in the future, but many times does not have the personality to garner corporate support because they are naturally harsh.
b. They are often misunderstood and if they live by the flesh they will struggle with offense.
c. They will offend (if they don’t submit to Spiritual Oversight) and they will be offended frequently and not understand why without spiritual oversight.
d. It’s hard for a person with the prophetic gift to “lock-in” anywhere.
3. Evangelist – A Passionate Defender of the Faith!
a. A person who only thinks of revival, winning souls, working miracles, assisting with deliverance, etc. These are the fun ones to hang around.
b. They live constantly on the edge of excitement and are often great storytellers.
c. Their mantra is “I’ll win them… You raise them!”
4. Pastor – Pastors are prone to relationships… That is how God built them!
a. They marry, counsel, love and lead. They dedicate babies and bury loved ones.
b. A good Pastor doesn’t have to be a great communicator they just need to have a gift to guide the flock of God through the good and bad times of life.
c. A good Pastor is defined and fulfilled through relationships.
5. Teacher – Someone who teaches the depths of God’s Word by explaining it line upon line and precept upon precept.
a. A good Pastor will be a Spiritual Teacher and Guide. (You don’t need someone else to be your “life coach”)
b. Teachers dot the I’s and cross the T’s.
c. A good teacher of God’s Word will help you grow exponentially as they teach under the anointing of Holy Spirit causing your understanding to be opened and your spirit to be enlightened with the truths of God’s Word.
d. Holy Spirit is our greatest teacher as He anoints individuals to open up the mysteries of the Kingdom to the faithful! – They that have “ears to hear” can hear what the Spirit is saying to the Church through God appointed and God anointed teachers.
B. Discipleship happens when the flock of God is being fed by qualified individuals who have a desire to raise up Spiritual Son’s & Daughters for God!
15. Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17. Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down and cast into the fire.
20. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
II. The Work of the Local Church – Win the Lost & Make Disciples
Mark 16:15-16 AMP
15. And He said to them, Go ye into all the world and preach and publish openly the good news (the Gospel) to every creature [of the whole human race].
16. He who believes [who adheres to and trusts in and relies on the Gospel and Him Whom it sets forth] and is baptized will be saved [from the penalty of eternal death]; but he who does not believe [who does not adhere to and trust in and rely on the Gospel and Him Whom it sets forth] will be condemned.
A. Discipleship is a “Christian Development Process” that finds its home in the local Church. I shared what I am about to tell you with you a few months back but I sense that I need to repeat it for a reminder. Here goes…
1. If we only have a Local Focus, we are being disobedient to the Great Commission.
2. If we only have a Global Focus, we are being disobedient to the Great Commission.
3. God’s Focus – ACROSS THE STREET AND AROUND THE WORLD!
B. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is Global in Nature.
1. Jesus died for the whole world… not just part of it!
2. We should caution ourselves and others not to attach a single, national subculture to the message of the Gospel. (ie. American subculture into foreign missions)
C. A Culture of Discipleship…
1. Will strengthen our personal walk with God and inspires Christian Community.
2. Will help us fall deeper in love with Jesus.
3. Will bring New Birth which brings New Seasons.
a. Baby Christians
b. New Ministries
c. New Songs…
d. Spawns Revival creating a Revival Culture!
There’s a special anointing for every area of ministry.
Have you seen yourself in one of these five gifts? If so… What now?