Intro: Today I want to talk to you about “United We Stand”; we are living in a time of great compromise from the secular world to the Church. We are at a time when there are no standards, the world stands upon the philosophy that in order to reach the top, they must step on as many as they can to reach their goals, this same thinking has bled into the church resulting in no unity which has cost us the power of the Holy Spirit and the lack of Revival. We can learn something from these three Hebrew boys that took a Stand. Psalms 133:1 Behold, how good and how pleasant [it is] for brethren to dwell together in unity!
I. The World is changing.
A. We as the church are standing in the same shoes as Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. We are in the midst of strange times, everything around us is changing.
1. For these three Hebrew Boys the change started when the Jewess Nation was invaded by the Babylonians in what is called the Babylonian Exile which took place in 605 B.C.
2. In three phases the Jews were deported to Babylon, the last phase in 588 to 586 B.C. where Jerusalem was overthrown and the Temple destroyed.
3. Daniel and the three Hebrew boys were the first to go.
B. All this took place under the leadership of the Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar, who dominated and ruled as if he were the King of kings. He like many other dictators is like a type of Satan, who is a mere prince of this world but no King.
1. This King would set up a Golden Image that all were to worship. From the highest authorities to the lowest peasant including the Jews.
2. All were to bow down and worship this image when the music played, and if no one obeyed this decree they were to be thrown in the fiery furnace for there rebellion.
3. At the appointed time the music played and all bowed down except the Jews.
4. But there were three Jews that they were concerned more about because these three had favor and were given a High position. The Bible says in Daniel 2:49 Then Daniel requested of the king, and he set Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, over the affairs of the province of Babylon: but Daniel [sat] in the gate of the king.
5. It was these three who earlier in the beginning of the book of Daniel had there names changed. They changed there names but couldn’t change who they were.
C. We too are facing changing times. Paul would speak of these times in 2 Timothy 3:1 ¶ This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. (2) For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, (3) Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, (4) Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; (5) Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
1. Many have compromised and are bowing down to the idols of this world. 2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; (4) And they shall turn away [their] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
2. They expect the Church to do the same. In many respects we have, doctrines of devils are being taught in the churches.
3. Many are bringing strange Fire before the Altar of our Lord as Nadab and Abihu did in Leviticus 10.
4. The World may change our name or call us names, but they can’t change who we are.
5. We are a people of favor and are in need of it. Proverbs 16:15 In the light of the king’s countenance [is] life; and his favour [is] as a cloud of the latter rain.
6. 1 Peter 2:9 But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
II. Three Stood Strong.
A. Theses Hebrew boys joined themselves together and stood for God.
1. They held to his word. They knew the first commandment was to have no other gods before the Lord they knew Isaiah 45:6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that [there is] none beside me. I [am] the LORD, and [there is] none else.
2. The world may want us to indulge ourselves in the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the pride of life. But we must resist the temptations of the World and not bow our knees to compromise. We are to James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
3. We to must be keepers of the Word. James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. (23) For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: (24) For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. (25) But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth [therein], he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
a. Psalms 119:105 Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
b. Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
4. They kept there faith. In the face of adversity said, Daniel 3:17 If it be [so], our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver [us] out of thine hand, O king.
5. We too must keep the faith. Romans 10:17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
a. 2 Corinthians 5:7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
b. Hebrews 11:1 ¶ Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
6. They made there stand. Daniel 3:18 But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.
7. We are to stand. Paul said in Ephesians 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
B. In scripture there are other examples of those that would stand.
1. In Genesis Chapter 37 to 50 we find a young man by the name of Joseph that dreams his family will some day bow down to him. Because of this dream his brothers hate him and sell him into slavery and fake his death. Joseph never gave up on his dream and the promise that was made. Despite being sold into slavery and then being accused of rape and then jailed. He never gave because He would soon leave the pit and go to the palace a place of favor had been set aside for him by God so that His family would come to Egypt and increase.
2. Job would stand despite the pressure from his wife to curse God and die.
3. In 1 Kings 22 we find a prophet by the name of Micaiah who would prophecy the death and defeat of King Ahab and his army. Because the word he spoke was not what the King wanted to hear he had him imprisoned but before he was carried away Micaiah stood and in said 1 Kings 22:28 And Micaiah said, If thou return at all in peace, the LORD hath not spoken by me. And he said, Hearken, O people, every one of you.
4. Daniel in Daniel 6 would not stop praying despite a decree that no one was to make a petition or prayer to there God for thirty days lest they be thrown in the lions den. When he heard of this decree he went home opened his window and prayed like he always did.
C. Unity brings strength. The Lord knew the power in unity for He said in Genesis 11:6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people [is] one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
1. On the day of Pentecost they were in one accord, resulting in the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The churches first great Revival resulting in 120 filled and the first Pentecostal Message preached resulting in over three thousand saved.
2. On that day the curse of the tower of Babel was reversed, God’s people were now united together in one tongue.
3. These tongues of fire would ignite the Church bringing them closer to God and to one another.
4. When we can unite ourselves together and stand setting aside our difference and opinions then we will see a great out pouring of the Holy Spirit and a return of Revival.
a. It is then that we can say John 14:12 ¶ Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
b. Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; (18) They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
5. When we began to stand and offer a prayer of lamentation for our homes, cities, and this nation we will see a Great Move of God.
a. 2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
b. Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
III. When we make a stand then we will face the fire!
A. When those three Hebrew boys made there stand they had to face the fire.
1. Daniel 3:24 Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonied, and rose up in haste, [and] spake, and said unto his counsellors, Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire? They answered and said unto the king, True, O king. (25) He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God. (26) Then Nebuchadnezzar came near to the mouth of the burning fiery furnace, [and] spake, and said, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, ye servants of the most high God, come forth, and come [hither]. Then Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, came forth of the midst of the fire.
2. When the children of God don’t back down the heat gets turned up to silence them. Satan wants to silence Gods people and keep them from uniting.
3. He will try to discourage and sow discord among the believers to keep them from fulfilling the Great Commission and seeing the latter Rain outpouring.
4. But when we stand Jesus is standing with us in the midst of the fire just as He did with the Three Hebrew boys.
Conclusion: When stand we are not alone. 1 John 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
No weapon formed against us will prosper. If will but stand united in prayer there is nothing that cannot be accomplished for the kingdom of God.