Thesis: to bring all to an understanding of the importance of an open heart towards Christ
Matt 24:32-33 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
1. A door a most curious object.
a. We often wonder what is behind closed doors
b. We often blush at what isn’t in our society today.
2. Doors are designed to do two things:
a. Shut something in or shut something out.
3. Our heart is often the key that operates this door
4. It hinges upon the state of mind we have at any given moment
5. Open your heart and mind today: and let us together examine the doors of our lives!
1. The Door that Shuts the Lord in: the Door of Prayer
a. Matt 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
b. Literally, this means to pray behind closed doors.
c. This does not forbid prayer in the open, or encourage cowardice.
d. It does forbid prayer for display
e. When we pray we should shut out all interferences and interruptions, placing all thoughts upon God.
f. Jesus said: “pray to the Father”
2. The Door that Shuts the Lord out: the Door of Luke-warmness (indifference)
a. Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
b. Note the context:
c. Christ had been on the inside: but now is on the outside>
d. He had been crowded out by the lukewarmness of the Laodicean Christians.
e. But he knocks, seeking admittance again!
f. Has he been crowded out of your heart by lukewarmness?
g. Why not admit Him and commune with Him?
3. The Door that shuts man in: the Door of Preparation.
a. God shut Noah and his family in
i. Made them secure from the ravages of the flood because they were prepared.
1. Gen 7:16 And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the LORD shut him in.
2. The Lord shut the door for the five wise virgins
a. These were admitted inside because of their preparedness
b. Against the dangers and the darkness of the outside
i. Matt 25:10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
4. The Door that Shuts the Man Out: The Door of Negligence.(lack of Preparation)
a. The same door that shut Noah and his family in: also shut the wicked world out!
b. The same door that shut the wise virgins in , also shut the wicked world out.
ii. Matt 25:11-12 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.But he answered and said,Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
iii. Luke 13:25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: