The Word of Christ
Sermon for 6/9/2002
Country Music Song Titles:
1. If You Can’t Live Without Me, Why Aren’t You Dead?
2. I Went Back to My Fourth Wife for the Third Time and Gave Her a Second Chance to Make a First Class Fool Out of Me
3. You’re the Reason Our Kids are Ugly
1. I’m Ashamed to Be Here, but Not Ashamed Enough to Leave
2. If My Nose Was Running Money, Honey, I’d Blow It Al On You
3. You Were Only A Splinter As I Slid Down The Banister Of Life
4. You Ain’t Much Fun Since I Quit Drinkin’
5. I Would Kiss You Through the Screendoor but It’d Strain Our Love
6. I Wouldn’t Take Her to a Dogfight, Even if I thought She Could Win
A. Thank God that Gospel Music has such a positive and uplifting message, unlike the songs of the world. As a matter of fact, the church is a great resouce and promoter of positive music. Without the church and the Christian message, all music would be in the devil’s camp.
B. Introduction to Colossians.
1. The city of Colossae was a small city about 100 miles east of Ephasus.
2. We don’t know if Paul had actually been there. If he never was there, during his ministry at the city of Ephesus, some evangelists came to Colossae and set up the church there. Epaphras may have been its founder.
3. Paul was in prison in Rome. Epaphras had come to Rome from Colossae with the word that a dangerous heresy was making headway in the church.
4. Therefore, Paul wrote this letter in response, and sent it by Tychicus and Onesimus, who also delivered letters to the Ephesians and one to Philemon at the same time.
5. The Colossian Heresy.
a. Philosophies of men - which denied the all sufficiency and pre-eminence of Christ (2:8)
b. Judaistic ceremonialism - which attached special significance to the rite of circumcision, food regulations, and observance of special days (2:11,16-17)
c. Angel worship - which detracted from the uniqueness of Christ (2:18)
d. Asceticism - which called for harsh treatment of the body as the means to control its lusts (2:20-23)
6. The book of Colossians emphasises the Deity, Pre-eminance, and All-Sufficency of Christ. All cults attack these thoughts from the Bible. Jehovah Witnesses and Mormans. Gnostics came from these thoughts. Still alive today.
C. Chapter 3.
1. Here Paul is laying out general guidelines for the Christians to follow in their lives. This was in contrast to the strict guidelines some people were encouraging Christians to practice in Colossae.
2. Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!
3. The body is evil. Therefore, deny the body as much pleasure and enjoyment as possible. Care nothing for the body.
4. Paul says that there are some things that need to be controlled. However, set our eyes upon heaven and we will know. Do not go by earthly rules and regulations. Vs. 1-15. Be guided by heavenly principles.
5. Vs. 17-4:1- Talking about general Christian principles for the family and for the slaves and for labor.
D. Colossians 3:16.
1. It will dwell in your richly as you do three things:
1) Sunday school teacher know that they learn more than there students.
2) I learn more than the people in the pew.
3) Need to have as many people teaching as possible.
4) In preparation.
5) Teaching your family and friends. Be active in sharing your faith.
6) Not able to teach?
1) To reprove mildly or kindly but seriously.
2) To counsel against something; counsel to do something.
3) To point out something forgotten or disregarded.
4) Must know the Scriptures to be an adequate counselor.
5) Through encouragement and correction, steer people in the right direction.
6) With all wisdom. It takes wisdom to take someone who is going to wrong direction and get them in the right direction. Cattle and barnyard animals are easier to correct than humans.
7) A person who corrects us and we do not get defensive. I was just corrected but I didn’t realize it until later.
8) Sometimes people will get defensive no matter what we do. Later on they realize that we were right. We save them from much hurt and trouble.
c. As we sing with gratitude to God.
1) Congregational singing is one of my favorite parts of the worship service.
2) We get an opportunity to express our adoration and love to God.
3) This service is for God. All of us are involved. God is the audience. We are not here to be entertained. Express ouselves to God. One part of the service where active participation is encouraged for the glory of God.
4) I don’t care if we sound like a dog baying at the moon or Barney Fife, we should strive to sing because we are not doing to impress someone here, we are doing it for Jesus Christ.
5) Why do we do it? Because we cannot help but express it.
6) Unable to sing- follow along in the hymnal.
7) Not only in church but outside the church. Carry those songs with us during the week.
8) More than songs involved here. Teaching and admonishing mainly involves the mind, the head, singing should involve the heart.
9) Testimonies and just giving praise to God are expressing gratitude to God.
10) Great periods of revival in the church have always been accompanied by an outburst of song and joy.
11) However we do it, we must have times where we express real emotion of the heart.
12) Some groups are known for their joy and enthusiasm. I don’t agree with some of their teachings but I admire there outbursts of emotion and gratitude to God right in the company of unbelievers.
13) (1 Cor 14:24 NIV) But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all,(1 Cor 14:25 NIV) and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"
14) I love to sing. Crystal gets tired of it. The joy of the Lord, not for recognition but to express my love of God.
E. Why should we sing and testify? Why should we strive to teach and admonish? Because of the Word of Christ.
F. If we have the Word of Christ in us richly we will live holy lives.
G. Jesus is described by John as the Word. The walking and talking Word come from God.
Thesis: The Word of Christ is many things. Let’s dwell upon what the Word of Christ is so that we will strive to have the Word within us richly.
H. His Word is Simple. (Isa 35:8 NIV) And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness. The unclean will not journey on it; it will be for those who walk in that Way; wicked fools will not go about on it.
A. It is simple to acknowledge. Philip and the Ethopian Eunuch. Look, here is water. Why shouldn’t I be baptized?
B. Simple to acccept. (Acts 8:38 NIV) And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him.
C. O how sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust His cleansing blood;
And in simple faith to plunge me
’Neath the healing, cleansing flood!
II. His Word is Significant. (John 5:39 NIV) You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me,
A. Exciting life. (John 10:10 NIV) I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
B. Eternal life. (John 11:25 NIV) Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies;(John 11:26 NIV) and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.
C. Jesus is all the world to me, My life, my Joy, My All; He is my Strength from day to day, Without Him I would fall. When I am sad, to Him I go, No other one can cheer me so; When I am sad, He makes me glad- He’s my Friend.
D. Jesus is all the world to me, I want no better friend; I trust Him now, I’ll trust Him when Life’s fleeting days shall end. Beautiful life with such a Friend; Beautiful Life that has no end; Eternal life, eternal joy- He’s my Friend.
III. His Word is Saving.
A. From sin. (Rom 6:22 NIV) But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.
B. From Satan. (1 John 3:8 NIV) He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.
C. Jesus, my Lord, will love me forever. From him no power of evil can sever. He gave His life to ransom my soul; Now I belong to Him. Now I belong to Jesus, Jesus belongs to me; Not for the years of time alone, But for eternity.
D. Once I was lost in sin’s degradation; Jesus came down to bring me salvation, Lifted me up from sorrow and shame; Now I belong to Him. Now I belong to Jesus, Jesus belongs to me; Not for the years of time alone, But for eternity.
IV. His Word is Satisfying. (Jer 15:16 NIV) When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God Almighty.
A. Eating it. (Mat 4:4 NIV) Jesus answered, "It is written: ’Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’"
B. Enjoying it.
A. Christ, the Blessed One, gives to all Wonderful Words of Life; Sinner, list to the loving call, Wonderful Words of Life. All so freely given, Wooing us to heaven- Beautiful Words, wonderful words, wonderful words of life. Beautiful words, wonderful words, wonderful words of life.
V. His Word is Sure. (Mat 24:35 NIV) Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
A. In teaching. Story of the house built on the sand and the house built on the rock.
B. Timelessness. (Isa 40:8 NIV) The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever."
C. By Charles Gabriel- Hold up the grand old Bible to the people!
Deny it or neglect it never!
Unfailing it has stood the test of ages,
And it shall stand unchanged forever!
O blessèd book, the only book,
The pow’rs of earth can change it never!
The test of fire and flood through ages it hath stood,
And it shall stand unchanged forever.
VI. His Word is Secure. (Psa 119:11 NIV) I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
A. Hiding His Word (2 Tim 2:15 NIV) Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.
B. Help in His Word. (Psa 119:9 NIV) How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word.
C. Standing on the Promises that cannot fail, When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail, By the Living Word of God I shall prevail, Standing on the promises of God. Standing, Standing, Standing on the promises of God, my Savior; Standing, standing, I’m standing on the promises of God.
D. Standing on the Promises, I cannot fall, Listening every moment to the Spirit’s call, Resting in my Savior as my All in All, Standing on the Promises of God. Standing, Standing, Standing on the promises of God, my Savior, Standing, Standing, I’m standing on the promises of God.
A. Is the Word of Christ dwelling in your richly?
B. The Word became flesh. Simple to accept him.
C. Sing the invitation song- If you do not belong to Jesus, come forward as we sing.