Tormented in this flame (Start talking about HELL)
Some of us know what it is like to be tormented by devils
But eternal punishment of torment is another issue-Amen
1. The Word of God is truth.
a . The same Bible that teaches mercy, grace, forgiveness and heaven also teaches wrath, judgment, condemnation and hell.
b. That is why we should be busy about the Father’s business-Amen
c. The Lord has no pleasure in the death of the wicked, (Repeat)
d. His desire is that all men come to repentance.
e. This should be ours too.
1Tim 2:3-4: For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; (4) Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. (A universal call to salvation)
Ezek. 33:11 Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
a. Jesus has no pleasure in the doom of unrepentant.
b. He always showed compassion and grace in the Word of God
1. In Luke 13:34: Jesus said as He wept over Jerusalem
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered they children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not.
a. The city killed the prophets and stoned God’s messengers
b. But it was still the object of Jesus’ love.
c. He wanted to gather them under his wing. BUT THEY WERE NOT WILLING- ( THEY WERE STUBBORN AND SELF-WILLED)
2. As a result there land would be left desolate (as it says in vs. 35)
* The Lord wants a submission of the will
Jesus said in John 5:40: And ye will not come to me that ye might have life.
1. Jesus has all power but will not make anyone submit.
2. Jesus will not steal your heart.
2. But Paul also stated in 2 Cor 5:11 "Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men."
1. We should pull them out of the flames while the smoke is still on their garment. –Amen
2. The Lord wants us as believers to have this type of compassion
3. We were once there.-Amen
3. Hell can not be dismissed.
a. It is a reality that Jesus spoke of in the Bible
b. Jesus came as the embodiment of divine Love
c. But Jesus spoke more of Hell than He did about Heaven
He spoke of :
1. The broad way that leadeth to destruction (Matt 7:13)
2. Lose your own soul (Matt 16:26 and Matt 19:23)
3. Eternal punishment (Matt 25:46)
4. Outer darkness (Matt 8:12, 22:13; 25:30)
5. Unquenchable fire (Mark 9:43-44)
6. Wailing and gnashing of teeth (Matt 13: 42, 50)
7. Thy whole body cast into hell (Matt 5:29-30)
8. Everlasting fire (Matt 25: 41,46)
9. Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched (Mark 9:46-48)
10. Eternal sin (Mark 3:29)
4. There seems to be no fear of the Judgment of God in our day
a. We know of God’s judgement on Adam and Eve:
Gen 2:16-17: And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: (17) But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
a. Then we see in Gen 3:4-5 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: (5) For God doth know that in the day ye eat therof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
b. Satan took away the fear of God’s judgment with Eve.
c. He told her she would not surely die.
d. She chose to believe the voice of the devil and chose not to believe the voice of Almighty God.
1. And God’s judgment of death came into the world.
5. Hell is a real place in eternity- Bible says “ There shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth”
e. there is no such place as hell.
f. They say it is hell living on this earth.
g. Some admit that there is a hell; however, they believe God sends no one there.
h. Some admit that there is a hell, but only the vilest people go there.
i. A certain denomination claims there is a purgatory. Saying that most people go there instead of hell,
j. And ultimately, will be in heaven.
All these false ideas and doctrines, which contradict the Word of God, and come from the devil.
Lies from the Father of lies
6. The intent of the Devil today is, to take away the fear of God’s judgment. This deception worked with Eve.
a. It works with millions of people today.
b. The word says:
Job 28:28-AND UNTO MAN HE SAID, BEHOLD, THE FEAR OF THE LORD, THAT IS WISDOM; AND TO DEPART FROM EVIL IS UNDERSTANDING.
Pv 3:7-BE NOT WISE IN THINE OWN EYES: FEAR THE LORD, AND DEPART FROM EVIL.
Pv 16:6-BY THE FEAR OF THE LORD MEN DEPART FROM EVIL
As Paul said in :2 Cor 5:11-KNOWING THEREFORE THE TERROR OF THE LORD, WE PERSUADE MEN.
In an article in the popular Christian magazine called Christianity today
( This is only a portion of the article)
The title being: Unless Jesus Says Otherwise, Hell Exists, Asserts Evangelical Report
British group acknowledges differences on annihilationism, but says doctrine of hell must be preached again.
By Cedric Pulford, Ecumenical News International, in London | posted 4/18/00
Flames, worms and the gnashing of teeth may be less prominent in sermons today, but hell is still real, according to a report sponsored by the Evangelical Alliance UK (EAUK). And hell as a place of eternal punishment remains "the dominant understanding" among evangelical Christians.
But the report, The Nature of Hell, produced by five experts, also acknowledges a growing belief among evangelicals in "conditionalism," according to which, after judgement, sinners will be annihilated—something that is seen as a more merciful fate than the pit of unending torment.
The Nature of Hell accepts that both options—annihilation and eternal punishment—are consistent with evangelical belief, which claims the Bible as the supreme authority. It calls, however, for greater clarity in the EAUK’s Basis of Faith, from which reference to "eternal punishment" was dropped in 1970.
Joel Edwards, general director of the Evangelical Alliance UK, said: "The increasing pluralism of Western culture has made hell more of a stumbling block than ever. It would be no exaggeration to say that both within and outside the church, many now see the doctrine of hell as indefensible and obsolete.
"The church has an enormous responsibility to be sensitive to our culture, whilst remaining true to our convictions," he said.
"Until someone better than Jesus returns from death with an assurance that hell is all a hoax, the church would fail to be loving if we didn’t talk about it as a reality."
The Nature of Hell was welcomed by Roman Catholic spokesman Monsignor Kieran Conry, who told Ecumenical News International (ENI): "The report will keep an important theological debate alive. It focuses on the reality of the afterlife and the fact that our actions in this life have consequences." He added that the Catholic Catechism described hell as a separation from God rather than physical torment.
The report has strong words for "universalism," a belief held by some theological liberals, according to which all humans will be saved by God. Universalism "may suit the spirit of our age [but] it is inconsistent with evangelical faith," according to The Nature of Hell.
7. Comments on the article:
Hell is a doctrine in the Word of God
a. I believe it has been watered down.
1. The Word of God should not be watered down.
2. We as born again, New Testament saints do not accept the doctrines of annihillationism ,conditionalism, or universalism .
a. Annihilationism is the teaching that God will condemn the wicked to extinction. Those who remain unrepentant will simply pass out of existence, and be no more- Popular teaching of the Jehovah’s Witness.
b. Conditionalism: Conditionalists maintain, " that our immortality is not a natural attribute of humankind but God’s gift." David A. Dean says that immortality is "conditional" in the sense that "conditions must be met before the sinner can receive everlasting personal existence."
c. Universalism: a belief held by some theological liberals, according to which all humans will be saved by God
d. We must see what the Word of God has to say so that we may stay in the streams of truth.
e. Otherwise we will believe a lie.
8. The Bible continually warns of a place called hell.
Matthew 23:33 says: “Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers,
how can ye escape the damnation of hell?”
Ps 9:17: The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.
Dan. 12:2: And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
Matt. 25:46: And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
Revelation 14:11, we read: "And the smoke of their torment goes up for ever and ever; and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name.
Rev. 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
a. There are over 162 references in the New Testament
b. Over 70 of these were uttered by the Lord himself
9 . Some claim that hell seems to be located down in the center or bowels of the earth.
They use scriptures such as:
Matt. 12:40: For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly: so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Eph. 4:9: Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
No matter where it is it is a real place: A PLACE OF TORMENT FOREVER
10. We must seek to be true disciples of the Lord
a. So that we may show the light of the Lord
b. Sometimes the only Bible an unbeliever will read.
11. In Mark 9:43-50: Jesus talks about our discipline as true disciples of the Lord.
a. As a Christian we constantly battle with natural desires and appetites
b. Jesus spoke in these vs. of the hand, foot and the eye.
Turn to Mark 9:43-50: Where Jesus says And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: (44) Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched:
1. The hand here is suggesting our deeds. The things we do.
2. Should Glorify God. Be upright in God’s sight-Amen
(45) And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched (46) Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
1. The foot here suggests our walk.
2. The Bible talks of walking circumspectly before the Lord.
Circumspectly: trying attentively to avoid danger, risk, or error.
a. Spiritual antennae up
3. The straight and Narrow under the guidance of the H.S.
(47) And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: (48) Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. (49) For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.
a. the Bible says in 1Cor 3: 11-15 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ, (12) Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; (13) Every man’s work shall be make manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is. (14) If any man’s work abide which he hath built there upon, he shall receive a reward. (15) If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss : but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire
(50) Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another.
3. Salvation should bring about a change in us.
4. Not just say we are a Christian and live like the devil
5. You may not be perfect but Jesus is and He is your Lord
6. We need to examine our own lives –AMEN
But also we should be busy about the Father’s business and concerned about the Lost.
God has a work for all of us to do-Amen.
Stop HERE Until next week
10 . In the Book of Revelation
Truths about place of eternal torment
In Rev 19: 20 : Before the 1000 year reign of Christ
a. The beast and the false prophet were cast alive into a lake of fire ( Not hell)
Rev 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image, These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.
Then in In Rev 20:10 The judgment of Satan and All Unbelievers
a. Anyone born during the 1000 year reign of Christ will be born in sin
b. After the 1000 year reign but before the Great White Throne judgment
c. The Devil is cast into the Lake of Fire to join the beast and the false prophet ( sometimes called the unholy Trinity)
Rev 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.( this disproves the doctrine of Annihilation)
1. Beast and False prophet are still in existence being tormented-
1. The Lake of Fire and Hell are two different places-Amen
Then we read in Rev 20: 11-15 The Great White Throne judgment (Jesus Seated as Judge)
a. John 5:22-23: For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, (23) That all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.
b. Great White Throne is the final showdown where a whole lot happens-Amen
Rev 20:11-15 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. (12) And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. (13) And the sea gave up the dead, which were in it: and death and hell were cast into the lake of fire, this is the second death.
b. Jesus said in Rev 1:17-18:
In Daniel 12:1-2 : The Bible says: …. And at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book. (Vs. 2) And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
1. The future of the Wicked is very bleak.
2. Lest they come to the revelation knowledge that Jesus saves
2. They will have eternal or immortal bodies
3. to endure the eternal torment
We will all have an eternal body. Saved or unsaved
b. In 2 Cor 5:1-10: Paul discusses the prospects of dying and being in the presence of the Lord, awaiting the reunification with his body (that will be raised at the rapture--cf. 1 Thess 4:13-18).
Hell Is A Place Of Consciousness: Hell is not a place for souls to just exist as if asleep or unconscious; it is real, literal, and conscious.
Notice that Jesus taught that the rich man:
. Could see - lifted up his eyes
. Could speak - cried out to Abraham
. Could hear - expected an answer from Abraham
. Could feel - sought water for his lips
. Certainly, then could smell (if all other senses were present)
. Could reason - sought compassion for his five brothers because he found out that hell is a losing propositition, and to live "without God" for the pleasures of this world, its riches and gains alone is wrong (but it is too late).
. And he could REMEMBER - the memory will be there for eternity.
To remember all the past-over opportunities will add to the suffering.
Memory of a misspent life added to his suffering.
V. Hell Is A Place Of Suffering:
It is described as a place of:
Everlasting Punishment - (Matt. 25:46)
Everlasting Fire - (Matt. 25:41)
Everlasting Burnings - (Isa. 33:14)
A Furnace of Fire - (Matt. 13:42,50)
A Lake of Fire - (Rev. 20:15)
Fire and Brimstone - (Rev. 14:10)
Unquenchable Fire - (Matt. 3:12)
Devouring Fire - (Isa. 33:14)
c. In Luke 16, Jesus Christ gives a frightening picture of Hell
Luke 16:22-28 The rich man also died, and was buried; (23) And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. (He had all of his senses in this place of torment) . (24) And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
1. The man said that he was tormented in this flame.
(25) But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and like wise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. (26) And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they, which would pass from hence to you, cannot; neither can they pass to us that would come from thence. (27) Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house; ( 28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.