How to Give God Greater Glory - I Cor. 10:31
"Whatever you do, do it ALL for the glory of God."
Why do so many people struggle to consistently give God glory in all aspects of their personal lives, relationships and activities?
Quote: Charles Ryrie, a famous teacher from Dallas Seminary said, "God’s glory is His reputation. To live for God’s glory means to live so that God’s reputation is enhanced (heightened in quantity and quality) and not diminished in any way."
Glory in the Bible refers to worth, beauty and value. The glory of God is His renown, his honor and His fame. When we seek to glorify God we give Him all our homage, service and devotion in all ways. In the Old Testament, glory meant weight, substance and radiant beauty. To glorify someone is to recognize one’s worth, beauty and to speak of their honor so others may hear. To glory the Lord is to speak of Him in a truthful way so we can worship Him with the beauty of holiness, truth and love.
Jesus said, "I have glorify you, Father, on the earth, having accomplished the work, you have given me to do." (John 17:4) We can best glorify God by completing His will for life.
Quote: "Just as we cannot darken the sun we cannot decrease God’s glory, but we can cause others to see the glory of God or lessen their motivation to behold His splendor by poor choices." (Ray Pritchard, Calvary Memorial Church, Oak Park, Illinois) May 4th 1997
Quote: "Worship fulfills God’s love. He loves people so vastly that He wills to exalt them to something better than greatness; He wants to bring them into an honored nearness to Him." (Stephen Hawthorne, Perspectives, p. 37)
Too many people are turning to the Bible as a self-help book. The Bible is essentially a book about God and His glory. The Lord is seeking people to be His worshipers. (John 4:22-24) He draws people as worshipers who will freely give to Him their love inspired glory. The Lord wants to draw all people into obedient worship, or glory from all the nations. Stephen Hawthorne has called the Bible, "The Story of His Glory." (Perspectives, p. 34)
How can we give God greater glory in the most effective ways?
1. VERBALLY GIVE GOD GLORY as David did in I Chron 29:10-13 where it is written, "David praised the Lord in the presence of the whole assembly, saying, "Praise be to you, O Lord, God of our father Israel, from everlasting to everlasting. Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, O Lord is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all. Wealth and honor coes from you; you are the ruler of all things, in your hands are the strength and power to exalt and give strength to all. Now, our God we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name."
2. RECOGNIZE THAT glory belongs to the Lord alone. No human being was meant to be worshiped or given our allegiance to above our commitment to God and His glory. God’s name is glorious. David wrote, "O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth." (Psa. 8:1) Majesty is God’s qualities as seen in His stateliness, sovereign power and dignity. Is your life giving people reason to rejoice in God’s glory even more?
3. HELP EVERYONE REPENT OF ALL SINS OF COMMISSION, OMISSION WRONG ATTITUDES AND FAULTY ASSUMPTIONS. Paul wrote, "For all have sinnned and fallen short of the glory of God." (Rom. 3:23) We need Christ to gain access to the glory of God through a personal relationship by faith. Those who fail to do so are not able to live for God’s glory and will experience His wrath, judgment and exclusion from His eternal presence. Only when we turn from our sin and move toward Christ and the seeking first of His kingdom and righteousness will we be able to seek the glory of God.
4. LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE. We display God’s glory through Christ. Paul wrote, "For God, who said, ’Let light shine out of darkness made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ." (2 Cor. 4:6) We best glorify God when we help give more of Jesus Christ to everyone in every way.
Song: "More about Jesus would I know. More of His grace to others show. More of saving fullness see. More of His love who died for me. More, more about Jesus. More, more about Jesus. More of His saving fullness SEE. More of His love who died for me." (2 Pet. 3:18) But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior. To Him be the glory (honor, majesty and splendor) both now and to day of eternity."
Jesus said, "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your father in heaven." (Matt 5:16) Too many people are hiding their light under a bushel basket because they are afraid of what others might say about them. At first light tend to shock people because men love darkness and hate the light lest their deeds be exposed.
5. DECLARE THAT GOD REVEALS GLORY TO RECEIVE GLORY THROUGH WORSHIP. The Lord reveals glory to all nations so He can receive glory from people through obedient worship, but He expects a return on His investment. Psa 96:2,3 says, "Sing to the Lord, praise his name; proclaim his salvation (deliverance) day after day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples. For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods."
6. THANK GOD THAT HE SAVES US FROM SIN BUT TO SERVE HIM IN SPIRITUAL WORSHIP. We are thankful that about 80,000 people become Christians everyday around the world. But it is not as valuable to see that they are saved from hell, but that they are saved for God’s greater pleasure, honor and fame. David wrote, "Tell of His glory among all peoples. For great is the Lord and greatly to be be praised; He is to be feared above all gods." (Psa. 96:2-4)
7. THANK GOD THAT TRUE WORSHIP HAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE FREELY OFFER GRATITUDE AND ALLEGIANCE TO HIM ABOVE ALL OTHERS. Jesus said, "True worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth (reality) for the Father seeks just such people as these as His worshipers." (John 4:23)Paul wrote, "Offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God which is your spiritual worship." (Rom. 12:1,2)
8. BE INVOLVED IN PROCLAIMING CHRIST AS THE CRESCENDO OF GOD’S GLORY. Ask the Lord to show you more effective ways that you can communicate to people that Christ has bought and brought 11,500 people groups from every tribe and tongue to honor the Father. Jesus said, "I will build my church and the gates of hell (the powers of the infernal region) will not prevail, shall not overpower it or be strong to its detriment or hold against it." (Matt 16:18)
9. PAUL MINISTRY OF GOD’S GLORY WAS A DOUBLE DIRECTED PLAN. Paul wrote, "To bring about the obedience of faith among the nations for His name’s sake." (Rom. 1:5) Paul realized that the world was divided in two categories: where Christ was named and where Christ was not yet named." Paul wrote, "It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known, so that I would not be building on someone else’s foundation. Those who were not told about him will see and those who have heard will understand." (Rom. 15:20,21)
10. SEE OUR LIVES, RELATIONSHIPS AND MINISTRIES AS A REHEARSAL FOR ETERNAL GLORY. For all of eternity we shall service Him as beloved priests for His glory. (Rev. 21:1-5)"The city does not need sun or moon for the glory of God gives it light and the Lamb is its lamp. The nations will walk by its light and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor to it. The glory and the honor of the nations will be brought into it. "Let all the peoples praise you. (Psa 67:3-5) We are now learning about great praise coming from all the 228 nations on the earth. Let us ask God for help in giving us a more directed focus and bolder plans to help all people everywhere give back loving glory, obedience and love from their sanctified best of every society on earth. For all of eternity we will be giving God glory. Let us rehearse well with our lips, labor and love and bring along as many as possible.
11. EMPHASIZE GIVING GOD GREATER GLORY BY FULFILLING THE GREAT COMMISSION. To God, the more the merrier, as it regards His glory. Jesus said, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Pray to the Lord of the harvest to send more laborers for His harvest fields. " (Matt 9:36-38)
12. KNOW THAT COMPASSION FOR THE LOST IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS A JEALOUSY FOR GOD’S GLORY. Eventually, people get tired of feeling guilty about not reaching the lost, but they never grow weary of giving God greater glory as it benefits them directly. The great commission will not be fulfilled by a fleeting zeal generated by a cry for perishing souls only. God’s glory is the greatest purpose of all. Let us teach, instruct and give people nurturing into a lifestyle of giving glory to God in all ways.
13. OUR CHIEF AIM IS TO BRING ALL PEOPLES TO OBEDIENT GLORY FOR GOD. The Lord wants to see all tribes, tongues and nations give Him the love, submission and honor that is due. May we have the same burden on our heart that moves God’s greatest purpose. Ask the Lord to help you direct people to allow the love of Christ overflow from their hearts for the greater glory, praise and adoration of God. Then each people group can experience the maximization of their God given potential. From this highest purpose other solutions to problems will emerge. Then each people group takes on greater importance as we see them one more megaphone for God’s greater praise, worship and honor. Every individual now takes on greater significance as we see them as a vessel for God’s greater praise.
14. INTEGRATE ALL EFFORTS FOR GOD’S GLORY. Paul wrote, "Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (I Cor. 10:31) Declaring the gospel and serving people are all means to bring greater glory to God. Allow the Lord to use you in the best ways to bring His kingdom and righteousness to every person, every people group and every nation for His greater glory. Greater glory to God is seen when the whole community evidences Christ’s transforming hand working through both the qualitative and quantitative expansion of His kingdom. Let us not love with our lips only but also in deeds and in truth. (I John 3:18)
15 FIND YOUR UNITY WITH OTHER CHURCHES AND CHRISTIANS THROUGH ATTEMPTS TO BRING GOD GREATER GLORY TO ALL PEOPLES. When we are concerned about the best ways to bring God greater glory from all the 12,000 people groups and the 6.3 billion people on the planet then our differences melt away in insignificance. We can rejoice in the variety of our approaches to worship, education and ministry as we focus on the glory of Christ in everything we do, say and think.