Sermon by: Dr. Todd Morris
Text: Colossian 1:12
Title: Heirs of the King - #2 in series in Colossians
Date: July 21, 2002
Introduction: Paul has written about how thankful he is for the saints at Colossi. He has told them that he is praying for them and exactly what that prayer is, what he desires for them. He now turns his attention from experience to expectation. He wants not only for them to know how thankful he is for them, but he wants them to see how much they have to be thankful for. So he tells them that they have an inheritance that they are already partakers of. In other words it is an inheritance that cannot be taken away from them.
There are other places in scripture where we are told that we are partakers. Philippians 1:7 tells us that we are partakers of Grace. I Peter 4:13 tells us that we are partakers of Christ’s sufferings. II Peter 1:4 tells us that we are partakers of a divine nature.
But what exactly does it mean to be “heirs with the saints of light?”
I WE ARE HEIRS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS (HEB. 11:7)
A. Righteousness seems a far cry away from what man is.
1. We know this by observing the sins of others.
2. We know this from the experience of our own sins.
B. Noah lived in a wicked age.
1. He was surrounded by wicked sinners
2. Yet he became an heir of righteousness
C. Noah’s righteousness came by faith.
1. This is also true of Abraham (Romans 4:3).
D. Our faith makes us heirs of righteousness.
1. Not just any righteousness, but the righteousness of Christ.
E. We have been made righteous by the shed blood of Christ through our faith in Him.
II WE ARE HEIRS OF THE KINGDOM James 2:5)
A. The Bible is a book about a kingdom.
1. A Spiritual kingdom.
2. But also a literal coming kingdom.
B. This kingdom is open to everyone who believes.
1. The poor can inherit this kingdom.
2. The rich can inherit this kingdom.
3. The Jew can inherit this kingdom.
4. The Gentile can inherit this kingdom.
C. Abraham was called an heir of the world.
1. He did not gain this inheritance by his good works, but by his faith.
D. By faith we inherit the kingdom, both spiritual and literal.
1. Those living for this world cannot receive it.
2. Those living by faith will inherit all things.
III WE ARE JOINT HEIRS WITH CHRIST (ROM. 8:14-17)
A. We became heirs of our parents at our physical birth.
B. We became heirs of God at our second birth.
C. As God’s children we became joint heirs with His Son Christ.
D. This inheritance has amazing dimensions.
1. What Jesus owns we will own.
2. Where Jesus reigns we will reign.
Conclusion: Are you an heir of the king? You can be before you leave this place this morning.
Are you living like an heir of the king?
Remember who you are and rejoice!