Illustration:We fear men so much because we fear God so little.
1. The Holy Spirit helps us maintain a reverential trust in God with a hatred for evil by teaching us more about God’s holy attributes. John wrote, "Who will not fear You, O Lord and glorify your name? For You alone art holy." (Rev. 15:4)
Ask the Lord to help you to continually grow in your knowledge, intimacy and confidence in the knowledge of the Holy One’s attributes.
2. The Holy Spirit reminds us that we are commanded to fear the Lord and keep all of His commandments. Moses wrote, "You will walk after the Lord your God and fear Him and keep His commandments and obey His voice and serve Him and cling to Him." (Deut 13:4) Ask the Lord to help you to fear God out of obedience, service and your need for His support.
3. The Holy Spirit motivates us to fear the Lord with all kinds of rich incentives. Solomon wrote, "By humility and the fear of the Lord is riches, honor and life." (Prov. 22:4) Ask God to help you motivate others to fear God by teaching them about the Bible’s rich incentive plan.
4. The Holy Spirit helps us worship the Lord in spirit and complete truth when we fear the Lord. It is impossible to worship the Lord without a proper reverential fear of His holy name. Ask the Lord to help you grow in your respect, awe and admiration for the Lord to enhance the quality and quantity of your worship.
5. The Holy Spirit encourages us to fear the Lord in order to come underneath God’s protective care. Isaiah wrote, "Fear not for I am with you. Be not dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and will help you and will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isa. 41:10) Ask God to help you encourage others to fear the Lord so they too might enjoy all of His protective benefit package.
6. The Holy Spirit shows us that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of all sorts of wisdom. (Prov. 1:7)
7. The Holy Spirit teaches us that He fulfills the desires of those who fear Him. He also hears their cries and saves them from defeat." (Psa. 143:19) Ask the Lord to help you fear God so you can see more of your desires fulfilled through His mighty power.
8. The Holy Spirit helps us make do with what we have when we fear God. Solomon wrote, "Better is a little with the fear of the Lord than great wealth with turmoil." (Prov. 15:16) Ask God to help you to increase in your fear and reverence of the Lord so you are able to make do with whatever He provides.
9. The Holy Spirit helps us cleanse our minds, emotions and spirits with a healthy fear of God. (Psa. 19:9) Ask the Lord to help you sanctify your mind, will and emotions with a greater fear and respect for God.
10. The Holy Spirit encourages us to grow spiritually and bear more fruit with the fear of God. (Eph. 4:15)
11. The Holy Spirit teaches us more about God’s will for our life, relationships and ministries when we consistently fear the Lord. David wrote, "Teach me your way O Lord and I will walk in your truth. Give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name." (Psa. 86:11) Ask God to help you learn more about God’s will for your personal life, relationships and ministries through a growing reverence for the Lord.
12. The Holy Spirit helps us learn how to be content and satisfied with a healthy fear of God. Micah wrote, "What does the Lord require of you, but to fear Him for the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty and awesome God." (Deut. 10:12-17) Ask God to help you to find greater contentment, fulfillment and satisfaction through your healthy fear of God.
13. The Holy Spirit helps us overcome our wants, desires and urges with a fear of God. David wrote, "For those who fear Him there is no want. The young lions lack and suffer hunger, but they who seek the Lord lack nothing." (Psa. 34:10) Ask the Lord to help you overcome your carnal desires, wants and urges with an increasing fear, reverence and trust in our God.
14. The Holy Spirit gives greater endurance to those who fear the Lord. David wrote, "The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever." (Psa. 19:11) Ask God to give you greater perseverance and knowledge of what is best as a result of your fear of God.
15. The Holy Spirit gives us greater peace of mind, purity of thoughts and an upright conscience when we fear the Lord. Paul wrote, "Let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God." (2 Cor. 7:1) Ask God to help you to cleanse your mind, emotions and perceptions with a healthy fear and reverence for the Lord.
16. The Holy Spirit gives you the ability to conquer you fears of people and problems with a fear of God. Solomon wrote, The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death." (Prov. 14:27) The fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trust in the Lord is kept safe." (Prov. 29:25)
Ask the Lord to help you find more of your answers in the fear of God as a way of drawing more strength from the Lord’s infinite resources.
Conclusion:David McCullough in his book Mornings On Horseback tells this story about young Teddy Roosevelt: Mittie (his mother) had found he was so afraid of the Madison Square Church that he refused to set foot inside if alone. He was terrified, she discovered, of something called the "zeal."
It was crouched in the dark corners of the church ready to jump at him, he said. When she asked what a zeal might be, he said he was not sure, but thought it was probably a large animal like an alligator or a dragon. He had heard the minister read about it from the Bible. Using a concordance, she read him those passages containing the word ZEAL until suddenly, very excited, he told her to stop. The line was from the Book of John, 2:17: "And his disciples remembered that it was written, ’The ZEAL of thine house hath eaten me up’" People are still justifiably afraid to come near the "zeal" of the Lord, for they are perfectly aware it could "eat them up" if they aren’t one of His. Our Lord is good, but He isn’t safe.
David McCullough, Mornings On Horseback.