SERMON 261 – WHY DO GOOD?
ILL: DO IT ANYWAY
While we have opportunity, let us do good to all men, and especially to those who are of the household of faith (Galatians 6:10).
People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered.
………Love them anyway.
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.
………Do good anyway.
If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
………Do good anyway.
Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
………Be honest and frank anyway.
The biggest people with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest people with the smallest minds.
………Think big anyway.
People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
………Fight for the underdog anyway.
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
People really need help, but may attack you if you help them.
………Help people anyway.
Give the world the best you’ve got and you’ll get kicked in the teeth.
………Give the world the best you’ve got anyway.
SERMON STARTS: WHY DO GOOD?
(1) It is a sin NOT to do good!!!
• James 4:17 Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.
(2) We are created to do good:
• Eph 2:10 For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
(3) Doing good pleases God:
• Heb 13:15 Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise--the fruit of lips that confess his name. Heb 13:16 And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.
• Col 1:10 And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God,
(4) Gives suffering a purpose:
• 1 Pet 3:17 It is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.
• 1 Pet 4:19 So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.
(5) Confirms your Christianity:
• 1 Pet 2:13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, 1 Pet 2:14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. 1 Pet 2:15 For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men.
(6) God equips you to do good:
• 2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 2 Tim 3:17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
• Heb 13:20 May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, Heb 13:21 equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
• 2 Cor 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
(7) Rewards for doing good:
• Rom 2:6 God "will give to each person according to what he has done." Rom 2:7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. Rom 2:8 But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger.
• Gal 6:9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Gal 6:10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.
• 1 Pet 3:13 Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? 1 Pet 3:14 But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear ; do not be frightened."