Scripture: Acts 1:1 – 14
Title: “On The Way To The Upper Room”
Introduction: This small group of men that had followed Jesus around for about three years stood and watched as Jesus disappeared up out of their sight as He began His trip back to heaven and the right hand of the Father.
RINGING in their ears was the words, “Don’t leave Jerusalem, stay here until you are endowed with My power.”
What CHOICES did they have except to OBEY and take their chances.
Now they were ALONE in a very hostile world, a would that was out to destroy anyone who allied themselves with this man they called “Jesus.”
The church-world in which they had grown up had now become their “Bounty Hunters” they had a price on their heads!
We can only SPECULATE on the things that went through the minds of those disciples on their way to the upper room during the time AFTER Jesus went back to heaven.
A tremendous amount of things depended on the disciples following through on what Jesus had told them to do.
The total existence of the Church rested on the shoulders of these disciples.
Fortunately, that small band of people found their way to an upper room and began the process of obedience.
Jesus had very thoroughly COMMUNICATED His message to them so that they KNEW exactly what He wanted them to do.
COMMUNICATION is a must for “Success!”
· I must have communication here as Pastor to succeed!
Jesus had left His disciples with a COMMAND: "And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised. But stay here in the city until the Holy Spirit comes and fills you with power from heaven." Luke 24:49 NLT
· This was not a suggestion! – This was a Command!
Jesus had left His disciples with a COMMISSION: “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and (ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.”
· Power for SERVICE! – Not just for FEELING!
Jesus had left His disciples with an EXAMPLE: “And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:” John 20:30 KJV
· “During the forty days after his crucifixion, he appeared to the apostles from time to time and proved to them in many ways that he was actually alive. On these occasions he talked to them about the Kingdom of God.” Acts 1:3 NLT
Jesus had left His disciples with a CHALLENGE: “Stay in Jerusalem UNTIL!”
· When those disciples noticed how many made their way to the UPPER ROOM they only counted 120 out of the 500 that were there when Jesus gave the COMMAND to stay until they were empowered with the Holy Spirit.
· 380 people had chosen NOT to make the personal COMMITMENT that was required in order to be FILLED with the Holy Spirit!
There used to be a cigarette commercial that said, “We’ve come a long way baby.”
· We have come over 2,000 years from that time.
Christianity has also come a long way. From having to meet on the river banks and hiding out in darkened rooms and out somewhere on a lonely hillside to great elaborate buildings and cathedrals.
Instead of trying to find a hillside where the sound could be heard by everyone we have some of the finest amplification systems available. We can broadcast to thousands inside or outside and anyone can hear the message that wants to hear.
Instead of sitting on the ground we have padded pews, instead of walking to church we have air-conditioned cars that can get to church in record time.
Instead of the authorities threatening to arrest us for coming to church they will protect us from harm.
Instead of hovering around the dim light of a candle to be able to read one precious copy of someone’s Scriptures we have brilliant lighting and everyone can have their own complete Bible. WOW!
Instead of seeing THOUSANDS SAVED only a trickle of people are being saved.
Instead of DEVILS being CASTED OUT devils have woven their way into too many churches UNDETECTED!
Instead of Christians carrying a CROSS the cross has become only a piece of JEWLERY to wear as an earring or on a necklace!
Prayer has almost become NON-EXIXTENT in the lives of too many Christians.
Instead of FASTING we have a mountain of diets to help trim off those unwanted extra POUNDS!
With all the advantages at our disposal the whole world should have already EVANGELIZED!
“We Must Have An Upper Room Experience”
· The Upper Room was a “Waiting Room” for the NEEDY!
· The Upper Room was a “Room for Improvement” for those who had FAILED!
· The Upper Room was a “Maintenance Room” that would provide on-going repair and adjustments.
· The Upper Room was the “Power Room” for those who were WEAK!
· The Upper Room was the room of the “Optometrist” to RESTORE the LOSS of VISION!
· The Upper Room was the COUNSELLOR’S room to RESTORE “Relationships.”
A lot of things transpired in that Upper Room: Serious Thinking, Prioritizing things in their lives – Praying – Making Promises – Thinking about WHY is this happening – Realizing we MUST allow someone else who knows how to remedy the problem to take care of things.
The RESULT: They came out of the Upper Room CLOTHED with the POWER of God!
· The Holy Spirit CONFIRMED their MINISTRIES without QUESTION.