SIGNS, WONDERS AND MIRACLES
Heb 2:1 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip. 2 For if the word spoken by angels was steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompense of reward; 3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; 4 God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?
It seems the religious world is greatly divided on this subject. There are a lot of sincere Christians on both sides of the issue.
The important thing is what the Bible teaches on this subject.
AS I STUDY THE WORD OF GOD THERE SEEMS TO BE FOUR PRINCIPALS THAT SHOULD GUIDE OUR BELIEFS ON THE SUBJECT OF SIGNS, WONDERS AND MIRACLES.
1. S W & M have always clustered around certain individuals in the Bible and has never been a consistent work of God. There are 4 great Miracle Periods taught in the Scripture:
a. First Moses and Aaron
b. Second Elijah and Elisha
c. Third Jesus and the Apostles
d. Forth False Prophet and the antichrist.
2. The Bible is filled with warnings about S W & M.
3. The Bible is filled with Promises about S W & M.
4. There seems to be 6 truths we can draw about S W & M.
I. THE WARNINGS:
1. Matt. 7:21-23 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
2. Matt. 12: 38,39 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonah:
3. John 4:48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.
4. Matt. 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they
shall deceive the very elect.
5. 2 Thess. 2:1-12 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,  That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.  Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;  Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.  Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?  (NIV) And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time.  (NIV) For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way.
 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:  Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,  And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.  And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:  That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
6. The Devil is a miracle worker: See Exo. chapters 6,7.
Rev.13:13,14 And he performed great and miraculous signs, even causing fire to come down from heaven to earth in full view of men. Because of the signs he was given power to do on behalf of the first beast, he deceived the inhabitants of the earth. He ordered them to set up an image in honor of the beast who was wounded by the sword and yet lived.
Rev 16:14 They are spirits of demons performing miraculous signs, and they go out to the kings of the whole world, to gather them for the battle on the great day of God Almighty.
II. THE PROMISES:
A. Mark 16:17,18 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
It should be noted that each and every one of the signs and miracles can be listed and having been done in the book of Acts.
B. Jesus healed the man with the palsy to show this truth:
Heb 2:1-4 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip. For if the word spoken by angels was steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompense of reward; How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?
III. SIX TRUTHS WE LEARN FROM THE STUDY ON S W & M.
1. Don’t seek after them: (We are to seek the kingdom of God. . . . .)
2. Any time you see a S W or M - put it to the test of Scripture. You test the Supernatural by the Word of God. Who is it that’s being exalted by the experience? Is Jesus? Or the Holy Ghost?
3. Don’t look to S W & M as a source of building faith. (It does not say, "Faith cometh by seeing Signs" - It does say, "Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God."
Remember Gideon wore out several fleeces and then did what God told Him to do.
4. If S W or M take place, let them take place following the preaching of the Word of God. Let them follow - don’t try to perform them.
5. God has always been the God of the Supernatural - We should and can expect Him to move supernatural and ought to pray for Him to do so and expect it. If we can explain everything that happens in the work of the Lord by natural causes - God is not at work.
a. The drawing and saving of a soul is supernatural.
b. The providing of the leadership of the Child of God is supernatural.
d. The healing of the body is supernatural.
6. When it comes to praying and asking God for his supernatural power. Recognize His absolute sovereignty. God will work according to His own Will and purpose.