Summary: The reality of Adam and Eve is a huge issue! It underlies at least 6 major Bible doctrines and many passages of Scripture. In addition, four new extra-biblical areas are substantuating the reality of Adam and Eve. Check it out!
PROOFS THE BIBLE IS TRUE, Part 1
‘PROOF ADAM & EVE EXISTED’
I. A MAJOR TEACHING OF SCRIPTURE
A. ARE REAL, NOT MYTHOLOGICAL
The Bible presents Adam and Eve as real human beings, not as mythical characters. Here are some examples:
1. “[God] made out of one man every nation of men.”—Acts 17:26.
2. “Through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus . . . death ruled as king from Adam down to Moses.”—Rom. 5:12, 14.
3. “The first man Adam became a living soul.”—1 Cor. 15:45.
4. “Adam was formed first, then Eve.”—1 Tim. 2:13.
5. “The seventh one in line from Adam, Enoch, prophesied also regarding [the wicked].”—Jude 14.
6. Jesus Christ Himself upheld the creation story of Adam and Eve as being true; “But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’” Mk. 10:6.
B. THEIR REALITY IS THE BASIS OF MAJOR DOCTRINES
1. THE HUMANITY OF JESUS, Lk. 3:38. The fact that Jesus was directly descended from Adam is theologically important because Jesus, as Redeemer, must be part of the human race. Also, just as Adam was the head of the fallen human race, Paul sees Jesus as the head of a new race of redeemed creatures with new natures. Jesus is called the second or last Adam.
2. WE ARE CREATED IN GOD’S IMAGE and are special and of great worth. We’re unlike other creatures – we’re made very similar to God Himself, having many God-like attributes. Why? Because God wants us to fellowship with Him throughout eternity!
3. SIN, DEATH, SALVATION. The biblical teaching of sin entering the world, death as a result of sin, and the need for the death of Christ upon the cross, are all based upon the fact that Adam and Eve were actual people. “Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned…” Romans 5:12.
4. DOCTRINE OF RESURRECTION
“For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive” (1 Corinthians 15:21,22). Since we are special creations, God will raise our bodies and make them immortal.
5. OUR PURPOSE/ DESTINY. We’re not cosmic accidents but special creations by God with an awesome purpose. We’re custodians of this world, with the task of developing it. We’re to become like Jesus. We’re to demonstrate His love to a lost world. And we’re supposed to win the lost to Jesus.
6. BIBLICAL BASIS OF MARRIAGE AND SEXUALITY. It’s based on the pattern laid out by the Creator – one man and one woman for life. Only by that combination are children produced. God means for men and women to spend the next 22 years raising their child/children. By that time, the woman is leaving her child-bearing stage and the couple is heading into old age.
C. DOES IS MATTER WHETHER THE ADAM/EVE STORY IS TRUE? YES! 2 CHOICES: COSMIC ACCIDENT OR SPECIAL CREATION
1. EITHER "In the beginning, GOD CREATED the heavens and the earth...and God formed man from the dust of the earth" (Gen. 1:1; 2:7) OR "Once upon a time... perhaps two and a half billion years ago, under a deadly sun, in an ammoniated ocean topped by a poisonous atmosphere in the midst of a soup of organic molecules, a nucleic acid molecule came ACCIDENTALLY INTO BEING that could SOMEHOW BRING ABOUT the existence of another like itself" (Isaac Asimov, The Well-Springs of Life).