Summary: The fossil record says "Yes!" The vast sedimentary rock says "Yes!" The vast coal seams, quick-frozen mammals, extinction of dinosaurs, polystrate trees, pre-Cambrian void say "Yes!" The wiorldwide legends and the sightings on Ararat say "Yes!"
EVIDENCE NOAH’S FLOOD REALLY HAPPENED
I. GEOLOGICAL FINDINGS SUPPORT THE FLOOD
IF THERE HAD BEEN A FLOOD, WHAT EVIDENCE WOULD WE EXPECT TO FIND? SIX EVIDENCES:
A. Evidence #1—FOSSILS HIGH AND DRY
Fossils of sea creatures high above sea level due to the ocean waters having flooded over the continents.
We find fossils of sea creatures in rock layers that cover all the continents. For example, most of the rock layers in the walls of Grand Canyon (more than a mile above sea level) contain marine fossils. Fossilized shellfish are even found in the Himalayas.
1. In 1967 Geological Magazine featured an article "The Highest Fossils in the World" which tells that some of the first successful expeditions (by the Swiss in 1956 and Americans in 1963; the first confirmed successful attempt to reach the summit was of course that of Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay in 1953) to the summit of Everest brought back geological samples which contained fossilized crinoids (deep sea flowers!)
2. And sea creature fossils on nearby peaks: “Lhotse’s [27,940ft peak] most defining aspect is its striking peak on the south face which has been reported as encompassing a variety of marine fossils….”
3. The Burgess Shale formation in the Canadian Rockies, elevation 6,700ft: “These fossils merit special interest for several reasons: They were buried in an underwater avalanche of fine mud that preserved exceptionally fine details of the structure of their soft parts.”
4. Trilobites are found high on the Rocky mountains. Fossil sharks have been found in Colorado (near Vail), elevation 7847ft.
5. Appalachian Mountains at Sideling Hill, Maryland (2,310 ft):
“Marine fossils are present within the black silty shale.”
6. Andes Mountains: “Scientists have found fossils of whales and other marine animals in mountain sediments in the Andes, at altitudes of more than 5,000 feet.”
7. Dolomites have been reported near the summits of Europe mountains, at an elevation of 10,300 ft.
8. Ural Mountains: “Located in western Russia, the Ural Mountains were once at the sea bottom, which explains the high quantity of marine fossils found in the area.”
9. Papau New Guinea and Indonesia: “Dr Bridget Ayling went in search of 400,000-year-old clams in the tropical jungle of Papua New Guinea, where tectonic forces have lifted marine fossils to 3,937ft above sea level. With the help of villagers, she collected more than 10 of the giants…”
10. HOW COULD WATER OVERFLOW THE HIGHEST MOUNTAINS? Before the Flood the earth terrain was much flatter. A depth 0f 7500 feet of water could have covered the tops of the mountains. After the Flood, God raised the mountains and lowered the valleys. “Ps. 104:6-9; “The waters were standing above the mountains.
At Your rebuke they fled…The mountains rose; the valleys sank down to the place which You established for them. You set a boundary that they may not pass over, so that they will not return to cover the earth.” NASB.
B. Evidence #2—RAPID BURIAL OF PLANTS AND ANIMALS
We find extensive fossil “graveyards” and exquisitely preserved fossils. For example, billions of nautiloid fossils are found in a layer within the Redwall Limestone of Grand Canyon. This layer was deposited catastrophically by a massive flow of sediment (mostly lime sand). The chalk and coal beds of Europe and the United States, and the fish, ichthyosaurs, insects, and other fossils all around the world, testify of catastrophic destruction and burial.
C. Evidence #3—RAPIDLY DEPOSITED SEDIMENT LAYERS ACROSS VAST AREAS
We find rock layers that can be traced all the way across continents—even between continents—and physical features in those strata indicate they were deposited rapidly. For example, the Tapeats Sandstone and Redwall Limestone of Grand Canyon can be traced across the entire United States, up into Canada, and even across the Atlantic Ocean to England. The chalk beds of England (the white cliffs of Dover) can be traced across Europe into the Middle East and are also found in the Midwest of the United States and in Western Australia. Inclined (sloping) layers within the Coconino Sandstone of Grand Canyon are testimony to 10,000 cubic miles of sand being deposited by huge water currents within days.
D. Evidence #4—SEDIMENT TRANSPORTED LONG DISTANCES
We find that the sediments in those widespread, rapidly deposited rock layers had to be eroded from distant sources and carried long distances by fast-moving water. For example, the sand for the Coconino Sandstone of Grand Canyon (Arizona) had to be eroded and transported from the northern portion of what is now the United States and Canada. Furthermore, water current indicators (such as ripple marks) preserved in rock layers show that for “300 million years” water currents were consistently flowing from northeast to southwest across all of North and South America, which, of course, is only possible over weeks during a global flood.
E. Evidence #5—RAPID OR NO EROSION BETWEEN LAYERS