Summary: A survey focus on the prophecy behind the Son of God from the Old Testament, as well as the significance of the gifts in light of these prophecies.
The Prophets and the Wise Men
Originally given December 2005 @ North Suburban Evangelical Free Church - Deerfield, IL
Sterling C. Franklin
Who was the Messiah?
I. A Few Prophecies about IDENTITY
The Son of God (Psalm 2:7; 2:12)
2:7 - I will tell of the decree: The LORD said to me, "You are my Son; today I have begotten you.
2:12 - Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled. Blessed are all who take refuge in him.
Date: About 1,000 BC
Human, Son of God, God, Eternal King (Isaiah 9:6-7)
(6) For to us a child is born, to us a Son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
(7) Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this.
Date: About 740 BC
The Son of God (Proverbs 30:4)
Who has ascended into heaven and descended? Who has gathered the wind in His fists? Who has wrapped the waters in His garment? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is His name or His son's name? Surely you know!
Date: About 720 BC (King Agur)
II. A Few Prophecies about LINEAGE
Who would the Messiah’s Human Ancestors be?
He would be a descendant of:
- Abraham (Genesis 22:18)
- Isaac (Genesis 21:12)
- Jacob (Numbers 24:17)
- Judah (Genesis 49:10)
- Jesse (Isaiah 11:1)
- David (Jeremiah 23:5)
See Matthew 1 for Jesus’ Lineage
Dates: Between 2100 BC and 620 BC
III. A Few Prophecies about BIRTH & MINISTRY
Concerning the Messiah’s Birth and Ministry…
- Born of a woman (Genesis 3:15)
- Born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14)
- Born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:2)
- Threatened by Herod (Jeremiah 31:15)
- Preceded by a messenger (Malachi 3:1)
- Would teach first in Galilee (Isaiah 9:1)
- Would perform miracles (Isaiah 35:5-6)
Dates: Between the Fall and 480 BC
Who would Jesus be?
- Prophet (Deuteronomy 18:15-18)
- Priest (Psalm 110:4)
- Sacrifice (Isaiah 53)
- He would be presented with gifts (Psalm 72:10)
(10) The kings of Tarshish and of the coastlands will render him tribute; the kings of Sheba and Seba will bring gifts!
(11) All kings will fall down before him, all nations will serve him!
Dates: Between 1450 BC and about 740 BC
IV. Who was the Messiah? Jesus.
Jesus brought fulfillment to these prophecies and many more throughout the span of the Old Testament. Interestingly, many prophecies speak to a second return of Jesus, so there are still prophecies yet to be fulfilled that will come to pass! So there were men who came to bring three different gifts…
The Three Gifts of the Wise Men (Matthew 2:11):
(1) Gold (Jesus is our King)
Isaiah 6:1-3: Jesus is Majestic
1 In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple.