Summary: proud or humble
Due to the large amount of sermons and topics that appear on this site I feel it is necessary to post this disclaimer on all sermons posted. my sermon ideas and illustrations are often taken from many sources including those at Sermoncentral.com, there could be instances where other minister’s wording is used, or wording similar. I am not trying to steal anything from anyone else, just trying to help others proclaim the gospel. my sermons are not copyrighted and may be used or preached freely. May God richly bless you as you read these words. It is my sincere desire that all who read them may be enriched. All scriptures quoted in these sermons are copied and quoted from the Authorized King James Version of the Holy Bible.
“Proud or Humble?
I. Intro: today I want to talk about the Proud and the Humble
A. Isaiah 66:1-2.
1 Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest? 2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word
1. In this passage, God gives us an awesome view of Himself.
2. Who can build a house that contain Him?
3. Who can step in and give God rest?
4. Who can do all that He has done?
5. who could take the place of God (no one can)
B. There's nothing proud people can do for Him.
1. He can't use proud, arrogant people.
2. He's not looking for prideful people.
3. God is looking for broken, contrite people.
4. He's looking for humble people.
C. The Bible says that God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.
1. If God wants a humble person, we need to know what will make us a humble person.
2. If God opposes the proud, we need to know what makes a proud person so that we can examine ourselves.
3. Today I want us to look at a few of the characteristics of the proud versus the characteristics of the humble.
4. As we look at these characteristics, let's quietly examine ourselves.
II. How do these two groups deal with other's troubles?
A. The proud focus on the failures of others.
1. You know these people.
2. They're just waiting for someone else to fail.
3. Then they run out as fast as they can to tell everyone else.
4. They never fail themselves, at least not that they would admit
B. The humble are overwhelmed by their own needs.
1. They don't focus on other people's failures.
2. They know that if it weren't for the grace of God, their whole life would be a failure.
3. They know how dependent they are on Jesus for everything.
III. How do these two groups deal with service?
A. The proud want to be served.
1. They want people to cater to them.”
2. these are the people who come to church wanting to know what the church can do for them.
3. They think they have the right to be served by others.
B. The humble serves others.
1. They let the love of Christ motivate them to serve others.
2. These are the people who come to church wanting to know what they can do for the church.