Summary: Proverbial wisdom: 1- Peace and quiet 2- Silver and Gold
INTRO.- Quips and quotes.
- To have a stress-free day, take a night job.
- It’s better to have loved and lost than to do ten loads of laundry a week.
- The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time. Abe Lincoln
- Even God cannot change the past. (but I would add: He can forgive it)
- A child is a person who can’t understand why someone would give away a perfectly good kitten.
- A good thought is good — a good word is better — and a good deed is best of all.
- Boys have a thousand muscles to wiggle with and only one to sit with.
- Teamwork is essential — it allows you to blame someone else.
- You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
- Speak when you’re angry — and you’ll make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
- The time to relax is when you don’t have time for it.
- To kill time, a committee is the perfect weapon.
- Unhappiness is not knowing what we want and killing ourselves trying to get it.
- The most difficult thing to explain is something you had no business saying in the first place.
- The hardest train to keep on track is the train of thought (especially when listening to a sermon)
- A short cut is usually the quickest way to some place you weren’t going.
- It will be interesting to hear the teenagers of today tell their children what they had to do without when they were young.
- The voter has only one consolation – not every candidate running for office can be elected.
- You know you’ve put on too much weight when you try to loosen your belt and you can’t find it.
- At any banquet you’ll find more after- dinner speakers than after-dinner listeners.
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away. An onion, everybody!
I. PEACE AND QUIET
17:1 “Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting with strife.”
Or better a little with peace and quiet than a lot with strife.
ILL.- A husband and wife were having a heated discussion. The husband said, “Don’t you remember promising to love, honor and obey me?” His wife said, “Well, yes, what else could I do? I didn’t want make a scene in church!”
ILL.- Husband to wife: “We have been married five years and haven’t agreed on a thing.” Wife, “You’re wrong again…it’s been six years.”
ILL.- Someone said, “In our marriage we made a decision to never go to bed mad. We haven’t had any sleep for three weeks.”
ILL.- I like Alec Baldwin as an actor, but I don’t think I would like him as a person, not in close living quarters, that is. Listen to his separation and divorce story.
January 18, 2001 Baldwin temper caused Basinger split
Kim Basinger is splitting from husband Alec Baldwin because he can’t control his temper, according to reports.
New York’s Daily News says next week’s People Magazine includes an interview with Basinger’s father, who spills the beans on what caused the couple to file for divorce.
"Alec has this kind of anger where he reaches down for something that hurts, something that may have happened a year or two ago, and then abuses Kim with it," Don Basinger tells People.