Summary: 1- Friends and brothers 2- Medicine and bones
INTRO.- Quips, quotes and notes
- Most husbands become interested in politics. In fact, many of them are already the minority leader in their house.
- The most difficult arithmetic to master is the art of counting our blessings.
- It’s funny how a bad cold improves enough to let a person accept a party invitation. (yes, but not to go to church)
- The dollar has dropped in value – but there’s no need to worry until some country turns down our foreign aid.
- When a child hears a bad word, it goes in one ear and out his mouth.
- Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
- The way of the transgressor may be hard, but it sure isn’t lonely.
- Nothing is harder to see than the naked truth.
- There are so many credit cards in use today that the only people with cash are kids who just got their allowance.
- Baldheaded people should remember that when God made heads, he covered up the ones He didn’t like.
- Some people suffer in silence louder than others.
- How often have you met a critic of the church who has tried to make it better?
- Unless you are willing to admit your ignorance, you will never be able to acquire knowledge. (True with acquiring God’s wisdom as well)
- The United States is the only country in the world where a man can keep three cars in his garage and not own a single one of them. (or two or even one car)
- These days the only thing that gives you more for your money than it did a year ago is a bathroom scale.
- Adolescence is when you think you’ll live forever. Middle age is when you wonder how you’ve lasted so long.
- Inflation is when you find that your nest egg won’t even make an omelet.
- George Washington had a problem no president since has had to deal with. He had no previous administration to blame for his troubles.
- Biting remarks are often the result of snap judgments.
- It’s often a show of strength not to show strength.
- Most of us could do twice as much if we didn’t spend half the time explaining why we don’t.
- The older generation thought nothing of getting up at 5 a.m. The younger generation doesn’t think much of it either.
- Some politicians campaign for the FUNDS of it.
Now to the book of Proverbs.
I. FRIENDS AND BROTHERS
17:17 “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.”
ILL.- A little boy asked his mother if he could go out and play with Timmie. “You know you don’t like Timmie,” his mother said. “All right,” replied the youngster, “then can I go out and fight with him?”
ILL.- Rodney Dangerfield said, “Once I told my old man, ‘Nobody likes me.’ He said, ‘Don’t say that—everybody hasn’t met you yet.’”
ILL.- Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, “What are you doing? Don’t you know you can’t outrun a grizzly bear?”
“I don’t have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!”
That is not the kind of friend to have. A true friend stands beside you, even in tough times. A friend loves at all times.