Summary: Most advanced aircraft have a computerized warning system which warns the pilots when the aircraft is approaching terrain not designated as a landing area. Not only do planes need to be warned of dangerous terrain, but so do Christians.
1. It was in a country church, that one of the members dozed off to sleep.
2. The preacher said, “Will all those who want to go to heaven, please stand!” Everyone stood except for the slumbering member.
3. After they all sat down, the Pastor continued, “Will all those who want to go to the Other Place please stand.” On cue, another member dropped a songbook.
4. At the sound, the startled sleeper jumped to his feet, sheepishly looking at the pastor. At last he said;
5. “Well, Preacher, I don’t know what we’re voting for, but it looks like you and I are the only ones for it!”
B. PROXIMITY WARNING
1. Most advanced aircraft have a computerized warning system which warns the pilots when the aircraft is approaching terrain not designated as a landing area.
2. An example of this warning system is demonstrated in the Mission Impossible 2 movie, where the bad guys acquired the Chimera Virus from a scientist and then abandoned the plane to crash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=discjQsDhUM
3. Not only do planes need to be warned of dangerous terrain, but so do Christians. In his letter to the Romans, Paul warns believers that the hour we live in is a dangerous time, and that we must take special action if we would not fall a victim to it. Read with me.
11 And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12 The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. 13 Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. 14 Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh. Rom. 13:11-14.
1. We’re going to look at our perilous times, Paul’s prophetic warning (a proximity warning), and his 2 prescriptions for fixing our condition.
2. The title of this message is, “Proximity Warning!”
I. DANGEROUS TERRAIN AHEAD
A. PERILOUS TIMES
1. “This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come” 2 Tim. 3:1. (Xalepos – reducing the strength).
2. The Greek word used here was used to describe the behavior of the Gadarene demoniac (Legion) -- so the word used of our time describes a time of demonically-possessed activity. [Mt. 8:28 – “fierce”]
3. Think how the demonic has gained in the last few years:
a. Human life has become cheap. Hundreds of millions of babies murdered through abortion. We watched with sick hearts as Melissa Farrell of Planned Parenthood was caught on video describing how they could produce baby body parts for a stem cell company.
b. The removal of anything of God or Christian principles, out of government, education, and main stream media.
c. The explosion of Islam (and jihad, murder) even in the West, is an event that was unforeseen even a few years ago. Combine that with the muzzling of the media to not criticize Islam. It's astonishing!