Summary: This sermon deals with the sin of pride and the blessing of humility and patients
3 Let Israel hope in the LORD from henceforth and for ever.
If you can get the message of this Psalm into our spirit, I guarantee it will make you a better Christian.
The text deals with man’s pride, his fleshly desire to be first, to be the best, to be the one in charge.
But it also speaks of humility and in our text the Psalmist focuses on
what TRUE Humility is all about.
My friends, make no mistake, being full of pride is a fleshly thing.
being genuinely humble is a spiritual thing.
A person can become filled with PRIDE when he overvalues his self and
Pride makes one restless.
(1) We become dissatisfied with what we have, our possessions, our
job, our title, our toys, etc…
(2) We begin to worry about what those around us are doing.
(3) We have to have MORE ATTENTION, MORE ADORATION,
we must hear the accolades of the people around us in order to
In stark contrast;
(1) The Spirit of humility causes one to put others first.
(2) Humility isn’t selfish, or self-seeking.
(3) The humble of heart are content as long as they know that the
Holy Spirit is leading them.
(4) In in the Spirit of humility, we live to please God and in this
becomes our security.
(5) We are released from the pressure of feeling that we must prove
ourselves to others.
A Christian needs the spirit of humility in order to put everything else in its proper prospective.
A Christian is called to serve, not to be served!
I. The Need For Humility
A. Many Bible scholars believe that David wrote this particular psalm
shortly after God had chosen him to succeed Saul as king.
1. While David patiently waited for his time to come, Saul accused
him of seeking the throne out of the pride of his heart.
2. David had been content feeding the sheep and being a good
shepherd but these accusations caused him to do some soul
B. David came to the conclusion that it wasn’t earthly things that he
1. He had not aimed for anything high or great as this world thinks
2. Out of David’s soul searching, he concluded that It was God’s Will
and God’s Divine Favor that he sought for.
C. It is important that we ask ourselves, What am I doing here?
What is it that motivates me to do the things I do?
Why is the position so important to me?
1. Do I desire this position because I know it to be HIS will?
2. Am I serving in this position because I rather have it, than to see
someone else in it?
3. Or Am I serving out of Love?
D. Humility helps one to maintain integrity.
A little boy came to his mother one day, saying, “Mamma, I am as tall as
Goliath; I am nine feet high.” “What makes you say that?” His mother asked.
“Well, I made a little ruler of my own and measured myself with it, and I am