Summary: What does it meanto be a faithful man?
How do we know if we are faithful? Is being faithful important?
Most people would say that they are faithful? In the first couple of verse Paul tells the young evangelist Timothy to be strong in the grace of God.
This means that Timothy is to keep in touch with the power of God’s grace.
Then Paul tells him to entrust the things that he had been taught by Paul in the presence of many witnesses to faithful men. (Testifiers).
It was important for Timothy to find faithful men to entrust the precious gospel message to.
How do we spot a faithful man? Paul will give us some qualities of a faithful man in these first few verses of 2 Timothy. Paul will use some contemporary illustrations to make his point to Timothy. Paul will use the example of the SOLDIER, THE ATHLETE, AND THE FARMER.
As we look at these three examples, let us try to examine the qualities that should exist in the faithful man!
1. We are told that the faithful man will suffer hardships as Paul did
a) The soldier does not turn tail and run at the first sign of trouble. He does not drop his weapons and run from the battle.
b) There will be rough times in our walk, the only way to grow is to work through them! Hardships make us strong, they are a test of the strength of our faith.
c) Talk about how a foe will show where you are at. DAVID AND GOLIATH!
2. The good Soldier will not entangle himself in other affairs!
a) The word entangled pictures a sheep whose wool is tangled in a thorn bush.
b) 2 PETER 2:20 For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world by the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and are overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first.
c) If we are faithful, we will not let the world keep us from serving God!
d) This deals with dedication! We cannot serve two masters!
e) So that he can please the one who enlisted him!
f) MATTHEW 6:24 No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.
g) READ LUKE 9:57-62
3. As Christians, we do not have to get entangled in the affairs of the world because Jesus will take care of us. THE MILITARY DOES.
4. PHILIPPIANS 4:18-19 But I have received everything in full and have an abundance; I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you have sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God. And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
1. Paul likes to use the illustration of the Athlete. He uses it in Corinthians also.
2. The faithful man will learn from the athlete what it means to be dedicated.
3. READ 1 CORINTHIANS 9:24-27
4. The athlete will spend countless hours training for the glory of victory!
5. The example of the athlete can show us also that dedication is not enough!
6. We must compete by the rules, BEN JOHNSON in the 1988 Olympics.
a) There are a lot of people who are dedicated to worshipping God in there own way, they are making up their own rules, this will not work.