Summary: How do we defend the faith?
“Being an Apologist” 1 Corinthians 15:1-11
1. Paul is a Defender of the Faith Paul is an Apologist Defender, Supporter,
• Note how he is described least of the apostles He says, “I am unfit to be an apostle “vs 9For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God
• Not much of a preacher He says — no special oratorical skills (2 Corinthians 10:10).
• He also admits to violence. He “persecuted the church of God” (v. 9).
2. Apologists defends the faith of the Scriptures these are the bare essentials of the Christian Faith Christ Died, Christ was Buried, and Christ Arose
• 3 The first or most of importance this is what I had received: that Christ died for our sins
• 4and that he was buried, in accordance with the scriptures,
• and that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures,
3. An Apologists defends the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, there Are eye witness accounts of this
• He appeared First to “Cephas, then to the twelve.
• Then he appeared to more than 500 brothers and sisters at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have died.
• Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles” (vv. 5-7).
• Finally, he appeared to Paul himself, then known as Saul. This appearance was unlike the others, and it occurred at the very time Saul was persecuting the church.
4. Paul says, I am an Defender of the Faith because of Grace (without grace I have no place)
• Paul feels because of grace I have a place I have a place because of unmerited favor, merciful, and amazing grace. I persecuted the church
• Without God’s grace, he has no place … no ministry … no job … no nothing.
• And he knows it. Because …It’s grace that saves us. look at verse 10: “But by the grace of God I am what I am
5. Paul is an Defender of the Faith because Grace has nurtured Him “And his grace toward me has not been in vain” (v. 10). In other words, the grace of God that saved Paul has yielded fruit in his life.
• God’s grace that began a work in Paul, continued that work, and it bore lots of fruit.
• He made three missionary journeys that took him to Asia Minor and then to Europe.
• He founded numerous churches churches at Iconium, Derbe, Ephesus, Colossae, Corinth, Thessalonica, Philippi and Rome,
• He wrote letters to many of these churches, some of which survive and became NT.
• He’s been described as the “apostle to the Gentiles,” because it was Paul more than any other apostle who was responsible for Christianity becoming a dominant influence in the Western world.
6. Paul feels it is grace that empowers the apologist or defender of the faith
• And it is God’s grace that empowers us. Paul writes, “I worked harder than any of them — though it was not I, but the grace of God that is within me. Something within that compels
• When Paul became tired and weak, perhaps by a physical infirmity, God’s grace gives us strength even when we feel weak.
• Paul and I can become a Defender of the Faith I am not worthy, I am least
• I am a Defender of the Faith I believe the Scriptures are the infallible word of God
• I am a Defender of the faith He died, He was buried, He arose, His Grace saves, His Grace nurtures, His grace Empowers. : “
• 58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labor is not in vain in the Lord. Be A Defender of the Faith