Summary: Sermon asks us to be like the folks in text to also take a giant step in faith in Christ, Love for Christ, endurance, and live above. Let us take the Giant Leap.
Colossians 1:1-14 “One Giant Leap”
1. Fifty years ago July 20, 196 astronaut Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the moon.
2. Armstrong planned to say “one small step for a man,” but what came out was “one small step for man.”
3. Armstrong did not take that step without anxiety. Before the flight of Apollo 11, his brother Dean had asked him, “What single thing do you have the most uncertainty about? His reply: “How deep is the dust?”
4. Buzz Aldrin and Armstrong took a giant leap so did the people of Colossae
1. The Folks in Colossi took a giant leap because of their Faith In Jesus.
• 4for we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus
• They believed Christ is the image of God (1:15),15He is the image of the invisible God,
• They thought Christ is the Creator 16For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth
• Christ is the Sustainer 17He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. (1:17),
• Christ is the head of the Church 18And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. (1:18),
• Christ is the first to be resurrected Recall verse 18 the first born of the dead (1:18),
• Christ the fullness of God in bodily form 19For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him
• Thus Christ is completely adequate. We "have been given fullness in Christ" (2:10). 9For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10 Christ, is the head over every power and authority
2. The next giant leap for the folks in Colossians was their Love. They had taken a tremendous leap in love for others, for neighbor, and for Jesus
• The Church at Colossi Loved “vs 7 Epaphras, our beloved fellow-servant.* behalf, 8and he has made known to us your love in the Spirit”.
• Paul comments about the Love they have for the saints 3 In our prayers for you we always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, and of the love that you have for all the saints
• Love is a fruit of the Spirit 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control.
• Love is a proof of Discipleship John writes 34"A new command I give you: Love one another.. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples for the love ye have one for another
• Love of God is never shaken even in troublesome times Isaiah 54: 10Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken
Don’t allow your Love to be shaken in troublesome
• Love of God walks with Us in times of trouble. 2When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; When you walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will be with you Allow Love to walk with us IN Troublesome times
3. Yet another Gigantic Leap for the folks in Colossae was Endurance. They endured
• 11May you be made strong with all the strength that comes from his glorious power, and may you be prepared to endure everything with patience
• When there is tension, struggle, strife, trouble, discord, problems, difficulties, complications, When all of these are present so is the presence of Endurance
4. Folk in Colossae took a giant leap of living above if you have been saved, you have been elevated!
• You are not the same person you used to be. You live above the old person and the new man is elevated.
• You do not have the same desires you used to have. You live above the evil you stomp the evil desires
• You have been equipped to live on a much higher level than the world around you. You should set your mind and affections on things above and not on things below.
4. Take the Giant Leap for yourself today
• Go All in have faith in Jesus remember he is creator, sustainer, and is the fullness of God.
• Take the gigantic leap of falling in love with Jesus as folks did in Colossae
• Take the gigantic leap of endurance endure life like a good soldier
• Live above be high minded or mind on God