Summary: In this text we encounter the law, the prophets, and we encounter the Gospel the good news.
Luke 9:26-36 “The Face of the Gospel”
• LeBron James or Michael Jordan, Jerry West is the 'face' of the NBA
1. A person can represent a campaign, an organization, or a sport
• Who might be the face of automobiles or the assembly line would be Henry Ford
• Einstein is the face of Science or geniuses
• MLK is the face of civil rights
• Abraham Lincoln the face of freedom
• Sigmund Freud ... Psychology
• Elvis might be the face of Rock 'n' Roll
1. Today text we find some interesting things going on Jesus takes Peter James and John
• Jesus chooses to Take Peter James and John with him and they went up onto a mountain to pray
• Jesus Prayed and there was a transformation 29 And while he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became dazzling white. Prayer changes stuff
• Jesus predicted that some of his disciples would see the kingdom before death ". 27I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God."
• , three of them witnessed Jesus gleaming like a flash of lightning and talking with the long-dead Moses and Elijah (verses 29-30). Many scholars think the Transfiguration fulfilled Jesus' "seeing the kingdom" prediction
• Moses and Elijah are there but they leave and only Jesus is there
• They hear a Voice 35A voice came from the cloud, saying, "This is my Son, whom I have chosen; listen to him."
2. Some might say Moses is the face of the Law Today’s
• We know he met God in a burning bush,
• Parted the Red Sea and led the people through the wilderness
• Moses received the law or the 10 commandments on Mt Sinai
3. Elijah we may say is the face of the prophets
• No books are named after him Elijah arrives when Israel's kings compromised the faith.
• He is constantly calling people from pagan worship, if they will be faithful they can avoid draught
• During the drought, God miraculously saves Elijah through the faithfulness of a widow. She prepares him a meal and he performs a miracle that sustains her and her son during the draught
• Elijah risked his life and reputation to speak for God. Yes, he feared for his life regularly, as God's message was not always well-received. Twice he fled out of town. Each time he seemed doomed, God met him in a wonderful, powerful way.
4. Finally we meet the Face of Good News Jesus
• We heard about the Law given , Yes we heard about the prophets judgments. Now let us meet The response to the Law and the prophets it is GOOD NEWS Gospel “ I forgive You” . 3For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature,B God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering
• When we fell so miserably to keep the law or we have lost our way meet The Gospel or Good News “I am the way the truth and the life”
• The Prophet calls us to Holiness and we know we have failed miserably to live righteous Meet The Good News Neither do I condemn thee go and sin no more”
• Jesus is the Face of Hope ‘Al My Hope is in Jesus”
• In transfiguration we meet The Face of The Gospel which transforms Us, The Face of the gospel kept the law lived a life of holiness therefore became the spotless lamb that taketh away the sins of this world
• The Disciples and we as well meet the good news at The Supper This is my body this is my blood