Summary: This verse inspires faith in the authenticity of Jesus Christ as the son of God.
The Junior Bible Quiz Sermon Series
Quote the verse of Matthew's gospel which tells of Jesus' supernatural birth.
The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel (which means “God with us”) Matthew 1:23
Purpose: This verse inspires faith in the authenticity of Jesus Christ as the son of God.
How I would introduce the topic: The promise of someone who would bring God and man together in salvation was predicted long before Jesus came to earth. The concept of the messiah was not only predicted, but it was longed for. And, how the savior would come was also predicted. So, it should come as no surprise to anyone that Jesus Christ came exactly as the prophets said he would. Jesus Christ was born as the prophets foretold.
I. He came miraculously
1. The virgin conceived. Jesus developed in the womb just as all people do. He was born in the same way we all are. But, no man gets to take credit for his birth. His conception was the work of God alone. It was a miracle, and it was the fitting way for the Messiah to come.
2. Biblical support: “He came to that which was his own, and his own did not receive them, but to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, children born not of human descent, or of a husband's will, but born of God.”
3. The point: We worship Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior because he is God and came in the way God told us he would. The virgin conceived, and the savior came into the world. This wasn't something made up to impress, it was an event that the prophets foretold to us that would be the sign that he had come. He has come.
II. He Came as a Man
1. “...and give birth to a son.” Jesus walked among us as a man. The sky didn't open and the ground didn't shake wherever he went. He didn't demand allegiance and vaporize his enemies. He came as a man who entered this world as a baby. He was humble and he was meek. He was gentle and he was compassionate. He was God who showed us how to be human. He showed us the way to the Father.
2. Biblical support: The soldier at the foot of the cross summed up Jesus' humanity with “surely this man was the son of God.” He came as a man, and died as one. He not only showed us how to live more human, but he showed us how to die as one.
3. The point: Jesus came to humanity as a human, but one who would show us how to truly be the human God the Father intended us to become. He set the example and gave us a path for us to follow.
III. They will call him Immanuel
1. He was called God with Us. Jesus was with us and he remains with us through the Holy Spirit. His Spirit can live within each of those who follow him and thus allows him to continually walk among the people of this world. We can live the example he gave us so that we can show the world how to become the person God intended each of us to be.
2. Biblical support: “...and I am always with you, even to the end of the age.”