Summary: Jesus not only can turn water into wine but he can change us.
“JESUS TURNS” 2:1-11
1. This wedding took place in Cana of Galilee
• Mary was there and Jesus and His disciples.
• Suddenly they ran out of wine Jesus’s mother said to Jesus, “They have no more wine.”
• Jesus’s response is a bit odd “Woman why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”
2. Mary says something we should do “Do whatever he tells you.” Maybe that is the purpose of this miracle
• 7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.
• 8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”
• 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water, Then he called the bridegroom aside 10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”
3. Perhaps the purpose of this miracle is found in 11
• 11 What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.
• It is here his glory is revealed
• It is here the disciples “believed in him”
• Maybe the purpose of this miracle is that Jesus cares for the little things (story of woman lost tax form prayed Woman said, “Jesus where is my tax forms”. She Said, “A voice spoke said there under the bed.” There they were . )
4. So what does this miracle at Cana mean to us?
• It means that if Jesus can change water into wine, he can change us, too.
• It is at Cana Jesus does a miracle of transformation.
As one wife put it after her alcoholic husband encountered the transforming power of the resurrected Christ, “Jesus changed beer into furniture.” That is, money that had been spent on beer was now being spent on the family.
• I think it means Jesus turns things Jesus can turn the sour into the sweet.
• Jesus can turn bitterness into peace.
• Jesus can turn hatred into love.
• Jesus can turn anger into joy.
• Jesus can turn sinners into saints
• Jesus turns death into life he is the resurrection.
• Jesus turns people who feel meaningless to people who feel they matter.
• Jesus turns blindness into seeing
• Jesus turns bondages into deliverances
• Today Jesus wants to turn us from a fan to a follower