Summary: The servant is on a mission and all are on a mission.
“On a Mission” Isaiah 42:1-9
• Just what’s your mission in life — exactly? What is it that drives you to get up in the morning?
1. People in the Bible who were on a mission ?
• Noah was on a mission to build an Ark for the saving of his household. By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family.
• Moses was on a mission to get Pharaoh to let Gods people Go there is an old song Go down, Moses Way down in Egypt's land Tell old Pharaoh Let my people go
• Ruth was on a mission to save her mother-in-law Naomi, everyone is on a mission
• The blues brothers were on mission from God to save an orphanage.
• We are on a mission to raise our children; we’re on a mission to get higher education, to make a satisfactory income to live. We’re on a mission to go to Heaven.
2. Today’s reading The Servant is on a mission
• I think all have a mission “God has put each of us on earth to do mission”
• In the text the servant has a mission Notice in verse 1 that God calls him “my chosen in whom my soul delights.” This tells us right up front that this Mission is the result of a calling.
• The servant will certainly be equipped I have put my spirit upon him;God’s own spirit will be upon him, empowering him to fulfill the mission which is to “bring justice to the nations”
3. What are some of the traits or characteristics of the servant ?
• Verses 2 and 3 indicate that one of the personality traits of the servant will be gentleness — he won’t display enough force to even break a bruised reed or quench a dimly burning wick.
• But the servant Himself will be crushed, but not until he has completed his mission to “establish justice in the earth” (v. 4).
• The servants character will be to bring justice to all.
• The servant will set-things right, It’s a mission to open blind eyes, both physically and spiritually; to liberate those who are in the prison of darkness (v. 7).
• The servant will spend time among the poor, proclaim the good news of God’s kingdom, open blind eyes in more ways than one, and set people free from slavery to sin and death.
4. Jesus’s mission
• Jesus first message was “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near” (4:
• Jesus mission is recorded as the following: He “went through Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the good news of the kingdom and curing every disease and sickness among the people” (4:23).
• Jesus mission , “anointed with the Holy Spirit and with power,” and “went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him” (10:38).
• The disciples witnessed this mission, they say,”He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one ordained by God as judge of the living and the dead. All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name” (10:42-43).
• Jesus mission: “The Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”
5. Finally, If we’re disciples of Jesus, this is our personal mission now.
• We have been gifted with skills and abilities by the Holy Spirit.
• We are the reflection the person of Christ.
• Our values, our dreams and our passions should be focused on healing, proclaiming, liberating and doing all the good we can
• Let’s give breath to people (Breaths Spirit of Life, Hope,)