Summary: Tapping into the eternity that is set in the hearts of men to bring people to Christ
REACHING THE WORLD (I)
A bit of a departure from previous lessons
This is important for 2 reasons:
1) To have wisdom and tact in bringing the gospel to folks in this area
2) To understand what it is in us that draws us to Christ … so we don’t simply have our religion become an idol unto itself, but so that we understand why we love and desire to serve God.
Matt. 10:5-16. Told to be as shrewd as snakes and innocent as doves
“Shrewd” means having keen insight … to be clever and artful.
Even up to 20-30 years ago, knocking on doors may have been an effective way to get the message out. No more. The population is more cynical and savvy than ever before. FURTHER, the time is past where it is simply assumed that there is a God and that our salvation lies in Christ. This society demands something different in terms of accepting the message of Christ. It is our obligation to evaluate what that is and integrate it into our ministry.
Rational, logical and practical people demand a reason before they accept anything. A society that believes in rational, logical and practical thinking (whether it practices it or not) will demand proof of some kind. PROOF! We answer with “FAITH.” I believe that the Bible teaches that there is room for both.
1) INTUITIVE EVIDENCE: Ecc. 3:11, Creation, Human Spirit (intellect, conscience, morality) – These tend to lead a person to believe in God … but they are, independent of anything else, often not enough.
2) A BETTER WAY: Ps. 35:9-10, Ps. 37:3-7, Prov. 14:12
3) PHYSICAL (historical) EVIDENCE: Jn. 10:37-38, Matt. 11:20-24, Matt. 12:38-39 - Jesus gave “proof” but it was not enough.
So, what are we to do? First, we ask ourselves why we believe in God and the Bible. Are we doing it because our parents did? Because it makes us feel good? Because we like to be rebels? Why??? What convinces us that God exists and that the Bible is His word? Once we establish that our own house is in some semblance of order in this regard, we are better able to carry, not just the message, but the truth of His existence to others.
These four things together are certainly enough if we thoroughly reflect upon and study them. Faith is critical, but it is not sufficient. We must make appeal to intuitive evidence, historical evidence and the “better way” that the gospel lays out for us. We reflect on these things not only to bring others to Christ but to strengthen our own confidence in God.
REACHING THE WORLD (II)
How do we approach others?
Jesus – Matt. 15:32-38 (feeding of the 4000)