Summary: The importance of reaching our community for christ
Reaching Your Community for Christ
We’re called upon to get involved in our communities.
1. a) All the people living in a particular district, city, etc.
b) The district, city, etc. where they live.
2. A group of people living together as a smaller social unit within a larger one, and having interests, work, etc. in common [a college community ]
3. A group of nations loosely or closely associated because of common traditions or for political or economic advantage.
4. Society in general; the public
5. Ownership or participation in common [community of goods]
6. Similarity; likeness [community of tastes]
7. a) the condition of living with others
b) Friendly association; fellowship
God has no plans to just take us out of the world because we are saved – Jn. 17:14ff.
He has us in the world for a reason.
This whole world lies in darkness – 1 Jn.5:19
God’s purpose is to lighten the world – Jn. 1:4-5, 9; Jn. 9:5; Matt. 24:14.
We are the light of the world and the salt of the earth – Matt. 5:13-16
We are the key to direction for the world and preservation for the earth.
As salt we need to make people thirsty for the Lord.
If you put a salt crystal into the mouth of a horse he would actually drink water after because the salt would make him thirsty.
We are in the world but not of the world – Jn. 17:14ff; 15:18ff; Rom. 12:2; Gal. 6:14-15; 1 Jn. 2:15-17.
The world hates us – Jn. 15:18ff, however the world needs us –
We cannot just be taken out of the world – Jn. 17:14ff
We are crucified unto the world and the world unto us. Gal. 6:14-15
We cannot love the world – 1 Jn. 2:15-17.
We cannot conform to the world – Rom. 12:2
We are a different class of people – 1 Pt. 2:5-9; 2 Cor. 5:17
Every believer (clergy & laity) is called upon to bring the light of God’s word to their community.
1 Tim. 3; 1 Tim. 6:12, we are ambassadors of Christ – 2 Cor. 5:17-20.
- We have been commissioned and appointed to do the work of the Ministry.
- Angels are not going to preach for us in this dispensation. Acts 10:1ff;
- Harvest is great – Jn.4:35ff; Matt. 9:36; Joel 3
- Labourers are few – Lk. 15; Joel 3; Mk. 4
- Prophecies must be fulfilled – Matt. 24:14; Mk. 13:10; Mk. 16:17
God’s heartbeat is Evangelism/soul-winning – Lk. 19:1-10; Mt. 9:35ff
Jesus was a soul winner – 1 Tim.1:15; Lk.19:10
Soul Winning is the greatest call. Every other call can only be second to this call – Eph.4; 2 Cor. 5; 5 Rom. 10:8ff; Jude 21-23.
The price has already been paid. God only requires your compassion.
God’s ultimate purpose is that His Kingdom will come and His will be done on earth as it is in heaven - Matt. 6:10.
“That the knowledge of His glory will cover the earth as the waters cover the seas” – Hab. 2:14.
4 Stages of Reaching Our Community – Matt. 9:35ff; 4:23; Jn.13:34-35.
1. We have to search – Matt. 10:11; Lk.19:1-10
- He said “go ye into the world…”
- He came to seek and save the lost
- You can only save those you have “found”
- The earth is our pulpit/field
2. We have to preach – Mk. 16:15. To reach the community we must:-
- Announce God’s goodness /gospel.
- We cannot be ashamed of it – Rom.1:16
- If we truly believe the Lord gave the word then we must publish it –
- If we don’t preach then no one would be saved – Rom.10:13-16
- Salvation is by faith and faith comes by hearing – Rom. 10:17
3. We have to teach. Matt. 28:18ff.
- Ability to educate the world - (spiritually and generally)
- We are told to make disciples or to disciple the nations.
- People must have an understanding of Christian principles.
- Help them know the why and how of godly principles. 1 Cor. 12:1-3
4. Sealing every breach, Prov. 15:4.
- We must plug every negative hole making sure we give the devil no place – Eph. 4:26-27 by:-
a. Providing for things that are honest in the sight of God and man, Rom. 12:17ff.
1 Tim. 2:1-4, manifesting the fruit of the spirit – Gal. 5:16-25
* Honesty = integrity in business and every area of life.
Remember we are in the world but not of the world.