Summary: until you admit you’ve got a problem, God won’t help you with that problem!
· A common saying in our culture is, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” meaning
basically, “If it’s still tolerably functional, leave it alone.”
· Many people live their lives that way as well. Their motto is, “My life is
functioning just fine, so I don’t need ‘fixing’ – I don’t have any problems
right now that need outside help.”
· What they don’t realize is, “IF IT AIN’T BROKE, GOD WON’T FIX IT!”
In other words, until you admit you’ve got a problem, God won’t help you with that problem!
· It’s kind of like this “RECALL NOTICE” …
The maker of all human beings is recalling all units manufactured,
regardless of make or year, due to a serious defect in the primary and
central component of the heart. This is due to a malfunction in the
original prototype units code named Adam and Eve, resulting in
reproduction of the same defect in all subsequent units. This defect has
been technically termed, Sub sequential Internal Non-Morality, or
more commonly known as S-I-N, as it is primarily symptomized by a
loss of moral judgment.
Some other symptoms are: (a) Loss of direction, (b) Foul vocal
emissions, (c) Amnesia of origin, (d) Lack of peace and joy, (e) Selfish
or violent behavior, (f) Depression or confusion in the mental
component, (g) Fear, (h) Idolatry.
The manufacturer, who is neither liable nor at fault for this defect, is
providing factory authorized repair and service, free of charge to correct
this SIN defect. The number to call for the recall station in your area is:
P-R-A-Y-E-R. Once connected, upload your burden of SIN by pressing
R-E-P-E-N-T-A-N-C-E. Next, download J-E-S-U-S into the heart.
No matter how big or small the SIN defect is, the J-E-S-U-S repair will
replace it with: (a) Love, (b) Joy, (c) Peace, (d) Longsuffering, (e)
Gentleness, (f) Goodness, (g) Faith, (h) Meekness, (I) Temperance.
Please see operating manual, H-O-L-Y B-l-B-L-E, for further details on
the use of these fixes. WARNING: Continuing to operate the human unit
without correction, voids the manufacturers warranty, exposing owner to
dangers and problems too numerous to list and will result in the human
unit being permanently impounded.
For free emergency service, call on J-E-S-U-S.
DANGER: The human units not receiving this recall action will have to
be scrapped in the furnace. The SIN defect must not enter heaven or
else heaven will be infected.
· Because of sin, human beings are fundamentally “broken.” The Psalmist
David discovered this principle during his life …
· Psalm 34:18 The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken
heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
· Psalm 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken
and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
· Because of our cultural expressions, we primarily think of a “broken
heart” or a “broken spirit” as a “weeping heart” or “sad spirit,” but the
primary meaning of David’s Hebrew expression was what we normally
think of when we think of the word BROKEN:
BROKEN: violently separated into parts, shattered, damaged,
fractured, violated, disrupted, made weak or infirm, subdued, crushed,
bankrupt, reduced in rank, cut off, disconnected, not complete or full.
· David realized two very powerful truths: FIRST, that his heart was
“broken” – not merely that it was sad, but that something was
fundamentally wrong with it; SECOND, that GOD IS ATTRACTED TO
BROKENNESS! (“nigh unto them,” “thou wilt not despise”) He knew that
“if it ain’t broke, God won’t fix it,” and that’s why David didn’t mind
admitting his problem …
· Psalm 31:12 I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind: I am like a
· In fact, the whole purpose of the Old Testament law was to show man
that he was fundamentally BROKEN, and that he needed God’s help!
· Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid.
Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust,
except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
· Galatians 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring
us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
· The Law of Moses contains many illustrations concerning brokenness:
· Any earthen vessel contaminated by an unclean object, animal or
person was to be BROKEN.
· When leprosy had BROKEN through the skin, a person was unclean
and had to be separated from everyone else.
· When leprosy had BROKEN out in the walls of a house, the house
was to be broken down.
· The Old Testament is really an ongoing contest between God and the
devil’s false gods for the affections of Israel. Altars to Jehovah and
many false deities were alternately built and broken, depending on the