Summary: One of the most important things that will prepare us for a personal revival is a new and fresh encounter with the Father’s Love.
GETTING READY FOR REVIVAL #2: RECEIVING THE FATHER’S LOVE
STORY: At Superstore with miserable supervisor, and then on to “pay it forward” at Timmie’s.
“Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” (Romans 12:21, NKJV).
INTRO TO TOPIC: We’ve been talking about getting ready for revival and God coming down.
• What does that look like? “Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!” (1 John 3:1).
THE BIG IDEA: One of the most important things that will prepare us for a personal revival is a new and fresh encounter with the Father’s Love.
“Sing, O heavens! Be joyful, O earth! And break out in singing, O mountains! For the Lord has comforted His people, And will have mercy on His afflicted. 14 But Zion said, "The Lord has forsaken me, And my Lord has forgotten me." 15 "Can a woman forget her nursing child, And not have compassion on the son of her womb? Surely they may forget, Yet I will not forget you. 16 See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands; Your walls are continually before Me.” (Isaiah 49:13-16).
• There is a joy that comes when you know and believe the love God has for you.
KEY TEXT: “On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.” (John 7:37-39).
I. COME TO JESUS:
• Jesus said, “If anyone thirsts, let Him come to me…”
• “Ho! Everyone who thirsts, Come to the waters.” (Isaiah 55:1).
• If we don’t realize we’re thirsty / needy, we won’t come to Jesus.
“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30).
“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.” (The Message Bible).
• This is the most important thing that we can do – come to Jesus, the loving Saviour.
• Only Jesus can truly satisfy the deepest longings of our heart.
II. DRINK OF HIS LOVING PRESENCE:
• Jesus said, “Come to me and drink.”
• “A Psalm of David when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You In a dry and thirsty land Where there is no water.” (Psalm 63:1).